The World Health Organisation has revealed that some members of the international scientific team studying COVID-19 virus origins have been blocked from crossing China borders to Wuhan.
“The officials in China say visas are not yet approved for the World Health Organization delegation due to visit Wuhan,” WHO said.
The WHO director general, Dr Tedros Ghebreyesus revealed on Tuesday that the scientists had travelled “as per arrangements jointly developed between WHO, the Chinese government, and countries for which the team was meant to travel through on their way to Wuhan.”
Covid-19 was first reported in Wuhan in China in late 2019 before it spread to other parts of the world.
“We learned that Chinese officials have not yet finalised the necessary permissions for the team’s arrival in China. I am very disappointed with this news given that two members had already begun their journeys and others were not able to travel at the last minute,” he said.
“I have been in contact with senior Chinese officials and I have once again made it clear that the mission is a priority for WHO and the international team. I have been assured that China is speeding up the internal procedure for the earliest possible deployment,” he added.
The expedition to China was heading to Wuhan to investigate the earliest cases.