Uganda Police has come out to assure the public on its ability to investigate and bring to book the culprits involved in the recent attack on telecom companies and banks in which billions of shillings were reportedly stolen.
At least Shs 5billion is reported to have been stolen in an attack targeting among others Stanbic Bank Uganda, MTN Uganda and Airtel Uganda late last week.
The companies in a joint statement to the public on revealed that a “third-party service provider experienced a system incident which impacted Bank to Mobile Money transactions.”
All Bank to Mobile Money/Wallet services were subsequently suspended.
While the companies claimed in the statement that “this system incident has had no impact on any balances on both Bank and Mobile Money accounts,” police has since confirmed that the attackers made off with a yet to be established amount of money.
The hackers are said to have targeted an aggregator company, Pegasus and authorised banks to release the money to ‘cloned’ sim-cards which was quickly picked from agents across the country.
Stanbic for instance is said to have lost close to 3 billion between Friday and Sunday last week. Bank of Africa and Equity Bank are said to been affected too.
Kampala Metropolitan Police spokesman Luke Owoyesigire while addressing press today, said the Police’s Department of Electronic Countermeasures was already on this case and assured that the culprits would soon be arrested.
The Police mouthpiece went on to assure that the Police team currently has the capabilities to investigate such complex cyber-attack cases.
“Police with time has gained a lot of competencies in investigating such cases,” he said.
“I can assure you that whoever is out there engaging in this kind of activity, you should actually bring yourself forward because we have everything we need to get you.”
“We are not working alone; we have a number of consultancy firms we work with and with time we have gained a lot capabilities and knowledge to counter this.”
On the said attack, the police spokesman said the affected companies had already handed over full system access to the investigators and that an audit was ongoing to established the people behind the attack and how much money was lost in the heist.