Midfielder Moses Waiswa and goalkeeper Ruth Aturo were on Friday night crowned the best male and female footballer of the year respectively in an awards gala held at Speke Resort Munyonyo.
Waiswa who features for Vipers Sports Club emerged winner in the men’s category and drove away in a brand new Mark II car vouttedy of Airtel who were the main sponsors of the awards.
To win the coveted gong, Waiswa beat off competition from Allan Okello of KCCA FC and Viane Ssekajugo of Onduparaka FC who didn’t attend the function.
The creative midfielder had brilliant performance throughout the year helping Vipers SC win the league and also reach the Uganda Cup where they lost to KCCA FC.
He was also part of the Cranes squad that saw the team qualify for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations.
In his speech after bring declared the winner, the soft spoken midfielder thanked everyone who has been around him in his journey as a footballer.
” It is been a long journey for me but I can now comfortably say, the dream has come true. When I decided to return from Sweden and play here, many thought I had made a bad decision but I don’t regret now,” he started before adding, ” I want to thank the Almighty Allah, my family, my team Vipers SC, the coaches, fellow players, FUFA and fans because this we have moved the journey together and I hope this will motivate me to work harder.”
On the other hand, Aturo who plays for UCU Lady Cardinals in the FUFA Women Elite League best off competition from Tracy Jones Akiror and Shadia Nankya to win the award.
The shot stopper was outstanding for both club and country including being named the best goalkeeper in three different tournaments( FUFA Women’s Cup, 2018 CECAFA and COSAFA championships).
Aturo spared time to dedicate the award to her haters and indicated they pushed her to work hard.
In the other awards on the in night, Noel Nasasira of Ndejje University was named the FUFA Big League MVP an award that came with 4 million shillings and a TV set courtesy of Bet Lion.
Mike Mutebi of KCCA FC won the coach of the year award for the third successive time.
Musitafa Kiiza was named the most promising footballer of 2018 while Allan Okello won the fan’s favorite player award.
• Male Player of the year – Moses Waiswa (Vipers SC)
• Fale player of the year – Ruth Aturo (UCU Lady Cardinals)
• FUFA Big League player of the year -Noel Nasasira (Ndejje University)
• FUFA Most promising player of the year – Mustafa Kizza (KCCA FC)
• FUFA BEST XI
Samson Kirya (GK), Paul Willa, Mustafa Kizza, Henry Katongole, Timothy Awany, Nicolas Kasozi, Vianne Sekajugo, Moses Waiswa, Dan Serunkuma, Allan Okello, Nelson Senkatuka
• FUFA Coach of the year – Mike Ray Mutebi (KCCA FC)
• FUFA Referee of the year – Brian Miiro Nsubuga
• FUFA Fair play award – Maroons FC
• Fans’ favorite local based player of the year- Allan Okello (KCCA FC)
• Fans’ favorite foreign based player of the year – Denis Masinde Onyango (Mamelodi Sundowns, RSA)
• FUFA Juniors League player of the year – Iddi Abdul Wahid (Onduparaka Junior Team)
• FUFA Presidential Award – Dr. Lawrence Mulindwa
• Upcoming Referee of the year – Shamirah Nabukenya
• Beach Soccer player of the year – Meddie Kibirige (Isabet Beach soccer club)