NewsPolitics

VIDEO: CDF Gen Muhoozi Orders Arrest of Soldiers for Molesting Journalists

The Chief of Defence Forces (CDF) Gen David Muhoozi has ordered the arrest of UPDF soldiers captured on camera assaulting journalists in Monday’s deadly riots in Kampala and also apologies for the horrific incidents.

In a statement issued on Tuesday afternoon, the Defence Ministry spokesperson Brig Richard Karemire said “Attention has been brought to the leadership of the UPDF about the unprofessional conduct of soldiers who molested some journalists while deployed on a Joint Operation in the capital city on Monday 20th August 2018.”

He emphasised: “UPDF wishes to express its displeasure over such behaviour by those individuals, and as a result, the Chief of Defence Forces (CDF) has ordered for their arrest and punishment.”

This comes after James Akena, a photographer working for the foreign news agency Reuters was beaten by soldiers, arrested and detained for several hours as he covered the ‘Free Bobi Wine’ political protests in Kampala.

A video of soldiers beating Akena with long sticks has since gone viral.

His equipment was confiscated.

It was reported that NTV journalists Ronald Galiwango and Juma Kirya as well as Observer photographer Alfred Ochwo were also beaten or roughed up.

During the political violence in Arua last week, NTV journalists Herbert Zziwa and Ronald Muwanga were pounced on and beaten by security officers as they reported live following the killing by shooting of Mr Yasin Kawuma, the driver of Kyadondo East Member of Parliament Robert Kyagulanyi, aka Bobi Wine

The Defence Ministry did not specify what punishment would be handed to soldiers found culpable.

It also did not say what would befall soldiers or other security officials who in future assault journalists on duty.

Observer say the CDF should have as well committed to providing protection to journalists covering such life-threatening situations.

Defence spokesperson Brig Richard Karemire observed: “While expressing apologies and sympathies to the individuals on whom pain was inflicted, we wish to reiterate our strong commitment to maintain a strong partnership with the media fraternity in the course of executing all our core functions as laid out in the Constitution.”

African Centre for Media Excellence (ACME) has since condemned the continuing attacks on, arrests and detention of Ugandan journalists by security officers.

ACME said some journalists were forced to delete footage from their cameras and phones of soldiers responding to or beating protesters and that some media houses were been forced not to show images of the political violence unraveling in different parts of the country

“Clearly, the security forces that have responded to protesters in the last week want to carry out their wanton abuse of the rights of Ugandans in darkness,” said Dr Peter Mwesige, ACME’s Executive Director.

“They don’t want any witnesses to their high crimes. That’s why journalists have been targeted deliberately. This is unacceptable. We call upon the government to rein in members of the armed forces who are now presiding over this frightening erosion of press freedom and free expression in Uganda.”

ACME said press freedom and freedom of expression are not just about the rights of journalists and the media to receive and disseminate information.

Tags
Back to top button
Translate »

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker