Following the release of the revised electoral roadmap by the Electoral Commission, the opposition Uganda People’s Congress (UPC) party has on Wednesday released its party roadmap approved by UPC Cabinet on Tuesday, June 23, 2020.
The roadmap issued by UPC Secretary General Fred Ebil says that picking and returning of nomination forms for party President will take place between June 29 and July 3.
It is clear the current UPC President Jimmy Akena will seek re-election amidst strong disagreements between party members loyal to him and another faction led by former party president Olara Otunnu.
Akena, on December 18, 2019, officially announced that he would seek re-election as UPC party president.
“I have offered myself for re-election as party President. That, according to our roadmap, will take place sometime in May 2020,” said Akena last year.
The May 2020 roadmap activities, however, were disrupted by the outbreak of novel Coronavirus which resulted into the revision of the roadmap.
To the delegates conference, which is the supreme organ of the party that sets candidates forward for election, drafts manifesto for general elections and how the party should participate in general elections, Akena said, “I am willing to serve my party in whatever capacity and I respect the decisions of party organs. So I have submitted myself to the delegates’ conference.”
Akena, who has been UPC President for the last 5 years, says he has never received any financial support from Milton Obote Foundation (MOF) which is the economic arm of the party established in 1963 to support political activities of UPC.
Disagreements about MOF are said to have started when Akena started siding with the ruling NRM party. His wife Betty Amongi is currently serving in NRM Cabinet as Minister for Kampala.
The Roadmap Activities Released by UPC Secretary General Fred Ebil;
- Picking and returning of nomination forms for party President will take place between 29th June to 3rd July 2020.
- Party presidential campaigns are scheduled to take place between 4th July and 15th July 2020.
- District conferences for party President nominations will take place between 16th July and 26th July 2020.
- Final declaration of results will take place on 28th July 2020.
- Delegates Confederate will be held on 1st August 2020.
- Party nomination for Special Interest Groups will take place between 29th June and 2nd July 2020.
- Nomination for LC 3 Councilors and Chairpersons is scheduled to take place between 7th and 8th August 2020.
- Primaries for LC 3 Councilors and Chairpersons is scheduled for 14th August.
“Those interested in positions of party President, MP, LC 5 Chairperson, LC 5 Councilor and city Mayor are advised to pick forms from party headquarters. Those for municipality mayor, Division Mayor, LC 3 chairpersons and LC 3 Councilor are advised to pick forms from their respective District chairpersons at District offices,” said Ebil.