The United Nations Secretary General, António Guterres has said he was shocked and saddened to learn about the attack on the convoy of Sudan Prime Minister, Abdallah Hamdok.
Mr. Guterres in a statement released by his spokesperson said he stood in solidarity with Hamdok.
“I was shocked and saddened to learn of the attack. I express full solidarity with the Prime Minister and people of Sudan,” said part of the statement.
The joint UN-African Union Mission in Darfur (UNAMID) also released a statement expressing deep regret at the attempted assassination.
UNAMID’s Joint Special Representative, Jeremiah Mamabolo, noted that the incident, already described by Sudan government as a terrorist attack, targeted the transitional government.
“We are both deeply shocked and saddened by this serious incident. It is indicative that the perpetrator(s) of such a heinous act aims to derail the transitional period. The hopes of the Sudanese people for a transition to peace, freedom and justice must prevail,” said Mamabolo.
Mr. Hamdok was appointed to lead Sudan’s transitional Government last August, after its long term leader, Omar al-Bashir, was deposed by the military in response to months of popular protest against his rule.
So far nobody has claimed responsibility for the assault on the Prime Minister’s convoy.
“UNAMID and its leadership reiterate their full support to Prime Minister Hamdok in his endeavors to see Sudan through a successful transition in a manner that achieves the hopes and aspirations of the Sudanese people for a peaceful, stable and prosperous future,” added Mamabolo.
Nobody was reported to have been hurt in Monday’s attack, which reportedly took place near the northeastern entrance to a bridge which collects the north of the city to the Prime Minister office in central Khartoum.