Uganda Cup: Violence Headlines SC Villa, Vipers Stalemate In Wankulukuku

Sunday, May 27
SC Villa 0-0 SC Vipers

There were regrettable scenes  in Wankulukuku on Sunday in the first leg of the Uganda Cup semifinal clash between SC Villa and Vipers SC

The match which ended goalless, was brought was brought to a halt on various occasions as Police tried to calm down the rowdy fans from both sides.

Vipers players seated in the centre

Vipers coach Miguel Duarte Da Costa was rushed to hospital after a fan stoned him in the chest, Vipers players sat on the pitch in protest, stones flew from the stands and Police had to fire bullets and tear gas to disperse crowds and calm down the situation in an ill fated affair.

The game ended goalless, and both sides will meet in Kitende for the return leg early next month.


The game was also covered by rough tackles on the pitch between the players.

The other semifinal will see KCCA FC take on Synergy FC in Masaka on Monday.

Violence on and off the pitch:


It was expected to be a closely contested affair and given the recent history of this meeting especially in Kitende last year the anticipation from the fans was high.

Both sides looked charged up for the affair, on and off the pitch.

Villa looked a better side right from the start and dominated proceedings in the opening half , however, they couldn’t find spaces through a water tight Vipers defence.

Just inside the first 15 minutes, both sides of the fans had already engaged in a brawl that saw stones exchange sides.

After a huge tussle by the few police men on duty and other security guards, calm was restored and play resumed.

But this was temporary, and more was yet to come.

Villa fans started to throw stones direct to the Vipers coaching bench, before Da Costa and his team ran to the pitch centre for safety.

Vipers substitutes and coaches stormed the pitch after stones were thrown at their bench

After calmness was restored, play resumed before the referee called for a halftime break.

The ugliest scene of a rough evening came when an anonymous Villa fan attacked Da Costa to land a stone in the Portuguese chest before the coach was rushed to a health centre in an ambulance.

At the restart, Vipers players and coaching staff sat on the pitch in protest.

After long negotiations that involved a phone call from the top bosses of the club, the second half was played.

Unlike the first half, Vipers looked the better side: Dan Mzee Sserunkuma, Moses Waiswa and Erisa Ssekisambu all came close to breaking the deadlock but Villa held on for a point.

At the final whistle, Vipers fans could be seen running out of the stadium but the jogoos followed the them  and a clash outside forced the police to fire bullets and tear gas to disperse the crowds.

Fans, players and members of the press were left stranded on the pitch due to tear gas

Teams Used:

SC Villa:
Samuel Kivumbi, Nsubuga Joseph, Katongole Henry, Isah Lumu, Arthur Kigundu, Kasozi Nicholas, Muwanga Bernard, Kakooza Mahad, Kizza Martin, Senkaba George, Kyambadde Allan

Yusuf Wasswa, Abel Eturude, Ambrose Kirya, Mukasa Musa, Tabu Vitalis, Yubu Bogere, Kitata Alex

Vipers SC
Watenga Ismail, Wadada Nicholas, Yayo Lutimba, Halid Lwaliwa, Asiku Bashir, Wasswa Geoffrey, Lwanga Tadeo, Waiswa Moses, Sseninde Dancan, Ssekisambu Erisa, Sserunkuma Dan

Alitho James, Bakaki Shafik, Wangi Pius, Mbayi Musa, Mukwala Steven
Masiko Tom, Nkubi Brian.

Back to top button
Translate »

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker