The Ministry of Health has on Wednesday confirmed 8 new COVID-19 cases in Uganda bringing the total number infections in the country to 665.
According to the statement issued on Wednesday by Dr Henry Mwebesa, the Director General Health Services in the Ministry of Health, the cases were confirmed from 2,423 samples tested on Tuesday.
“10th June 2020, the Ministry of Health confirms eight (8) new COVID-19 cases from 2,423 samples tested on 09 June 2020. The total confirmed COVID-19 cases in Uganda are now 665,” said Dr Mwebesa.
Of the new cases, 4 are truck drivers, 3 of whom arrived from South Sudan via Elegu border, 1 from Tanzania via Mutukula while 4 are contacts and alerts to previously confirmed cases.
Of the 4 contacts and alerts to previously confirmed cases, 2 are from Kyotera district, 1 from Kayunga and 1 from Amuru.
Meanwhile, 31 foreign truck drivers (16 Kenyans, 8 Tanzanians, 5 Eritreans, 1 Burundian and 1 South Sudanese) who tested positive for COVID-19 were handed over to their respective countries of origin as per the presidential directive.
While officiating Heroes day celebrations at State House Entebbe on Tuesday, President Museveni said that the fact that lockdown was partially lifted, there could be chances of number of COVID-19 cases rising.
As a result, he ordered the Ministry of Health personnel to prepare 40,000 beds and Namboole stadium to handle the cases in case they surge.
Currently, Uganda has a total bottom of 665 COVID-19 cases, 119 recoveries and no fatalities.