Police has this morning released preliminary findings from a robbery incident that happened Thursday night at the residence of Government spokesperson Mr Ofwono Opondo in Mukono district.
Police says two thugs armed with machetes and dressed in casual clothes with face masks, attacked the home of Opondo, who was not at home at the time.
his wife Jane Nalukwago Opondo and their two daughters were in the seating room watching TV.
Mrs Opondo told investigators that the thugs entered the house through the main gate, which has no guards and was only bolted without a padlock. They then moved to the master bedroom with the three victims.
“They broke open the wardrobes of the master bedroom. In one of the wardrobes, there was a handbag of Jane Opondo with UGX 30,000 that they moved out with and her small feature mobile phone Nokia black,” said KMP deputy spokesperson Luke Owoyesigire in a statement
It has been established that power had gone off in the whole parish at the time the thugs entered the house.
The thugs later fled the scene without injuring anyone in the family.
Police later responded to the scene and the hunt for them started right away.
Owoyesigire said that the black Nokia phone that had been reported stolen from Mrs Opondo was also recovered a few metres away from Mr Opondo’s house.
“We would like to caution the public to put target hardening measures in place to avoid such burglaries.
The intent of the thugs is yet to be known,” said Owoyesigire
Meanwhile, efforts to have the suspects arrested is still on.