South Sudan

South Sudan Rebels Warn Juba

South Sudan rebels have expressed “deep concern” by the latest statements made by the Minister of Information and Public Broadcasting, check cialis 40mg http://chaosoffroad.com/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/templates/taxonomy-product_tag.php also the government spokesperson, adiposity Micheal Makuei Lueth, more about that Juba wants radical changes in the peace talks taking place in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

The Minister of Information, in a press statement released on Sunday stated that government wants the venue of the negotiations “to be changed as well as the Chief Mediator.”

The minister went on to say that the Chief Mediator: “…was being influenced by others…which is America, Britain and the Norwegian, these are the Troika members who are in control…”

Makuei allegedly accused the Troika member states of trying to force “regime change” and being “responsible for the beginning of the crisis” in South Sudan, abandoning the coup narrative in the process.

Mabior Garang De Mabior, the Chairperson National Committee for Information and Public Relations said in a statement on Thursday that “the SPLM/SPLA though deeply shocked by these statements, is not surprised by this lack of seriousness from the other party to the conflict (GRSS), as this is part of their modus operandi.”

He further pointed out that Juba “has continuously (since January) been undermining the peace process in Ethiopia, and this is just the latest delaying tactic in a strategy to ensure the failure of the peace process.”

South Sudan maintains its commitment to the talks but has since expressed its reservations over the manner in which they are conducted.

Kiir recently said some powers wanted him out of office to allow the return of Machar who would grant them exclusive rights to access their oil.

Loading...

The better part of oil concessions were handed to Chinese companies, a move that rattled the west which channeled billions of dollars to the SPLM struggle for South Sudan independence.

But Mabior said Juba’s “intransigence started with the violations of the agreements on the Political Detainees and the Cessation of Hostilities (CoH). These agreements were signed in January, yet the last of the detainees was released in April (after the courts failed to prove treason charges).”

He further stated that Juba has lately been o the offensive, and has since January illegally occupied territories previously under the control of SPLM/SPLA, in violation of the CoH Agreement.

“The Obstinate resistance to finding a negotiated settlement to the South Sudan Conflict

continued on 13/09/2014, when the GRSS violated the right to freedom of movement of the Chairman of the SPLM-DC,” added Mabior.

“The Chairman of SPLM-DC was accused of having presidential ambitions and in addition to being prevented from attending the talks, was replaced by Presidential Decree and a new leader of the opposition appointed by the leader of the Government (the President of RSS).

The rebels, who have been accused of committing gross atrocities especially in Upper Nile State, said the statements made by the Minister of Information are deplorable.

“This is just another delaying tactic by a government that is not serious about peace and is abusing the goodwill of IGAD, the AU and Troika. The shifting of the Peace Talks from Ethiopia would just be an unnecessary delay of peace and would only prolong the suffering of the people of South Sudan.”

The SPLM/SPLA, which on several occasions abandoned the peace talks, now say it has restated “its full confidence in the IGAD peace process in Ethiopia and in the leadership of Ambassador Seyoum Mesfin in the Office of the Special Envoys for South Sudan (OSESS).”

Fighting in South Sudan has pushed the country to the brink of a hunger catastrophe and left a trail of bloodshed and destruction.

Tags
Back to top button
Translate »

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker