An SPLA-(In Opposition) Commander has been killed when government forces attacked the rebels’ base in Yankonye, and Harvesters in Maridi and Yei river state, the rebel spokesperson has said.
SPLA-IO Deputy Military Spokesperson, Lam Paul Gabriel said Maj Felix Likambo Faustino, the rebel’s base commander in Yei County, was killed in the early hours of Monday when the SPLA moved out of their position and launched an attack on the opposition forces.
Lam also said one rebel soldier was also injured in the attack.
“This morning at about 6:00 am SPLA moved out of their trenches in Yei town and attacked SPLA-IO bases at Yankonye (5 miles Yei-Maridi road) and at harvesters (3 miles Yei-Maridi road) and killed our base commander Maj. Felix Likambo Faustino and wounded one soldier,” said Lam in a statement sent to ChimpReports on Tuesday.
“The fighting spread to the internally displaced population causing more displacements of civilians,” he added.
The rebels accused the government of violating the signed Cessation of Hostilities Agreement signed between Juba and opposition forces, and called on rebel forces to be on high alert on all fronts.
Both parties have previously hurled counter accusation of violating peace deals.
The SPLA-IO also alleged that the government of South Sudan has been airlifting troops and military logistics to Pagak, in preparation to attack the rebels in the Upper Nile region.
But government said it were rebels planning attacks hence preparations for defensive action.
The conflict which broke out on 15 December 2013 has left tens of thousands dead and 4 million displaced to neighboring countries, leading to a decline in the economy and food production.
In a report released in Juba on Monday, UN agencies warned country may slip back to famine if the war continues.