Rwanda’s genocide survivor organisations have expressed their outrage at a BBC This World documentary that aired on BBC2 last week, doctor http://covintec.cl/wp-includes/feed-rss.php saying it “seems intent on reopening our wounds.”
In a letter sent to the Director General of the BBC, http://catrinmacdonnell.co.uk/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/modules/wordads.php Ibuka (Rwanda’s umbrella association for survivor groups) responded to the film, http://csanz.edu.au/wp-admin/includes/class-wp-press-this.php calling it a “blatant denial of the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi” and asked the BBC to stop all screenings of the documentary.
According to the film watched by Chimpreports, BCC interviewed several ‘scholars’ with one saying only 200,000 Tutsis were killed in the 1994 genocide and that the rest were Hutus.
Some of President Kagame’s former aides including Gen Kayumba Nyamwasa and Theogene Rudasingwa castigated the RPF reign, describing it as dictatorial and full of killers.
Kagame was also accused of ordering for the shooting down of the plane carrying dictator Habyarimana in 1994.
But the documentary, which was released last Friday, touched a raw nerve when the interviewees moved to dispute the number of victims killed in the genocide, saying it was far less than what is claimed by government.
“We, survivors of the Genocide against the Tutsi in Rwanda, are outraged by the blatant denial of the Genocide against the Tutsi that is portrayed in your documentary ‘Rwanda: The Untold Story’, broadcast by BBC Two,” said Dr Jean Pierre Dusingizemungu, President of Ibuka (The umbrella association for Genocide survivor organisations in Rwanda).
He reminded the London-based broadcast that Rwanda this year marks 20 years since the “Genocide that killed over a million of our mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, sons and daughters.”
Dusingizemungu said while the BBC prides itself on upholding the journalistic standards of truth and objective reporting, the programme is “factually incorrect and seems intent on reopening our wounds.”
He pointed out that in one of the “very few truthful scenes from the film, survivors were shown at the commemoration event this year leaving the stadium in uncontrollable distress, screaming and shouting for loved ones they witnessed being killed before their eyes.”
He added: “It was with disbelief and disappointment that a few people who have their differences with the current government or the country were given a platform to politicise the Genocide and deny the planned and systematic killing of over one million people.”
Dusingizemungu maintained that the programme “ignored the vast evidence from people who were here in 1994, from local, national and UN court records and from scholars and academics. This makes a mockery of the BBC’s reputation for integrity and fairness.”
“It is our understanding that the production crew was in Rwanda during the commemoration period in April but made no effort to seek out the voices of those who witnessed and suffered through the Genocide in 1994. By giving voice to those who deny the Genocide without reaching out to a single survivor or survivor organisation, the BBC has demonstrated an incredible lack of respect for the more than a million victims and their surviving loved ones.
“Genocide denial is known as the final stage of genocide and occurs when genocide is met with attempts to deny the occurrence and minimise the scale or death toll. Through your documentary, you have silenced the voices of survivors and amplified those that seek to minimise and legitimise one of the fastest and most systematic genocides of the 20th century.”
Dusingizemungu further stated that, “It pains us to imagine the viewers whose first exposure to the history of the Genocide against the Tutsi was through a filter of denial and revision,” adding, “We call on the BBC to uphold journalistic standards and stop broadcasting this documentary and parts of it on multiple BBC platforms.”
The statement was signed by Yvonne Kabanyana, President of the Association of Genocide Widows of Rwanda (AVEGA), Jean de Dieu Mirindi, National Coordinator of the Association of Student Survivors of the Genocide (AERG) and Charles Haboninama, President of the Association of Former Student Survivors of the Genocide (GAERG).
‘Sitya Loss’ kids also known as the ‘Ghetto kids’ might have become so popular and met very many important people in and outside Uganda but they were so thrilled to have met KCCA ED, more about http://clubebancariositape.com.br/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/json-endpoints/class.wpcom-json-api-update-user-endpoint.php Jennifer Musisi at the recently concluded Kampala carnival.
The talented youngsters did not only meet Musisi but also offered her a painted portrait of herself as a gift for the good work she has done to improve life and to foster development in Kampala City.
Donning black T-shirts with the words ‘Sitya Loss’ imprinted on them, hospital the now famous Ghetto kids met Musisi just moments after their powerful performance at the carnival and presented the gift that they had carried. The exhilarated Musisi amidst her encounter with the kids took time off and smiled and struck poses for ChimpLyf cameras.
From the way Musisi was smiling, she was clearly star-struck at meeting the ‘Sitya Loss’ YouTube sensations. She also seemed pleased and happy with the gift the kids had presented to her.
These kids became very famous after Eddy Kenzo’s ‘Sitya Loss’ video in which they danced went viral and received so many views on YouTube.
The world was amazed at how talented these Ghetto kids are. Since the single dropped earlier this year, the public has put up a number of videos dancing to the popular song. The song has seen Kenzo go to greater heights musically with successful tours and performances around the world.