South Sudan

S.Sudan First Bank Governor, Gen Malong Aleng, Dies

Burkina Faso army on Thursday night issued emergency measures that included disbanding the government and Parliament in a bid to restore stability after a wave of violent riots swept through the capital Ouagadougou, discount Chimp Corps report.

A new transitional government which will lead the nation for “not more than 12 months” was put in place, buy information pills in what appears a coup against President Blaise Compaore.

Army chief Gen Honore Traore who addressed a press conference on the new emergency steps taken by the military, symptoms did not reveal who would lead the interim administration.

Enraged by Blaise’s attempts to extend his 27-year-rule by manipulating the country’s constitution, protesters stormed the streets before torching the Parliament buildings and the ruling party’s headquarters.

The national television and radio station were seized by protesters who also engaged security forces in street battles.

At least five people reportedly died in the skirmishes with the army poured on the streets to save Blaise’s regime from collapsing.

A curfew has been put in place.

“A return to the constitutional order is expected in no more than 12 months,” Gen Honore was quoted as saying.


Blaise called for calm before announcing his plans to relinquish power at the end of the transitional government, BBC reported.

He earlier issued a statement, declaring the emergency and saying that the head of the armed forces was in charge of implementing the decision.

Meanwhile, greatly concerned by the deteriorating security situation in Burkina Faso, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has called for an end to the violence and announced that he is dispatching his special envoy for West Africa to the crisis-gripped country.

According to a statement issued by his spokesperson in New York, the Secretary-General is following with great concern the deteriorating security situation in Burkina Faso.

Ban was shocked by media reports suggesting that thousands of protesters faced off with security forces outside the presidential palace amid deadly violence that included ransacking Government buildings and the state television headquarters.

The country’s airport has reportedly been closed.

“He calls on all parties to end the use of violence, exercise calm and restraint, and use dialogue to resolve all outstanding issues,” said the statement.

“The Secretary-General is saddened over the loss of life resulting from recent events,” the statement continued, adding that Mr. Ban has requested his Special Representative for West Africa, Mohamed Ibn Chambas, to visit Burkina Faso on Friday and he welcomes that Mr. Chambas’ mission will be undertaken jointly with the African Union and the Economic Commission for West African States (ECOWAS).
South Sudan’s first Central Bank governor, remedy Elijah Malok Aleng, sildenafil 77, look is dead.

A war veteran of both Anyanya one and the SPLM/A, Aleng passed away on Thursday afternoon at Nairobi Hospital after losing a battle to a stroke and diabetes.

“It is with great pain and sorrow that I have to inform you of the passing away of one of our DPF members, facilitator of our events, and veteran of the wars of liberation, uncle Elijah Malok Aleng Deng,” said the deceased’s close friend Dr. Lual Achuek Deng, formerly Minister of Petroleum in South Sudan.

“I am short of words, so forgive me if I cannot say anything more for now. May God rest his soul in eternal peace and comfort his love ones, friends and comrades of the war of liberation.”

Elijah Malok Aleng was a South Sudanese public servant, general, and politician, from Bor in Jonglei State. He was born on 28 November 1937 in Thianwong, a Pen village about five miles East of Baidit in Central Bor among the Angakuei clan.

He attended Rialbek Bush School in 1949, where he passed at the end of the school academic year and he attended Malek Primary School (1950–1953), and then Juba Intermediate School and Juba Commercial Senior Secondary School, graduating

He then attended Free University of the Congo, in the present Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), and later got a scholarship to study in Fribourg Catholic University, Switzerland, from which he obtained a Masters degree in Economics in 1972 In 1975 he obtained another Masters in Development Studies and Economic Planning from Cambridge University in the United Kingdom.

He was elected a Member of Parliament (MP) representing Bor North territorial constituency in the regional parliament of Sudan in May 1982.

Early career

He enrolled in the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement/Army (SPLM/SPLA) on 28 December 1983 and became active in its ranks. He started as one of the senior political commissars in June 1984, and then he went to joined the Cadet Military College, graduating with the rank of a Major.

He was posted in Southern Blue Nile front, where he was the second in command after the late A/Cdr Wilson Kur Chol. The Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA) forces of Eagle Battalion, which they were commanding, were largely made up of Dinka elements from Northern Bahr el Ghazal specifically from Abiei, Gogrial and Aweil Counties.

He remained in Southern Blue Nile front until mid-1987 when he was accredited to francophone West Africa as a special envoy of the movement. He was the SPLM Resident Representative in the Peoples’ Republic of the Congo, with non-residential representation in Zaire (now DRC), Gabon, Cameroon, Central African Republic (CAR), Rwanda, Burundi and Chad. He was primarily stationed in Brazzaville, Congo, but travelled from time to time in the various capitals.

Positions and roles in Africa

He remained in Francophone Africa until the advent of multi-party democracy in 1991. In June 1991, he was appointed Executive Director of the SRRA where he remained until January 1993, when he was transferred and became the spokesman of the SPLM in East Africa, a duty he carried out for the whole of 1993.

In January 1994, he was appointed Secretary of the national Convention Organising Committee (COC), which organized the First SPLM/A National Convention. The convention was successfully held in Chukudum, New Sudan, in April/May 1994. After this convention such SPLM structures as the General Military Council (GMC), National Liberation Council (NLC) and National Executive Council (NEC) were instituted.

He was elected member of NLC representing Bor North territorial constituency and he also became a member and Secretary of the First NEC in the portfolio of Co-ordination and Public Service. In 1997, he was reshuffled away from public service and coordination to an advisory role in the Office of Chairman and C-in-C of the SPLM/SPLA.

In that capacity, he became the advisor on economic, financial and political affairs. In February 1999, he was again appointed, for the second time, the Executive Director of the SRRA and ex-officio member of the NEC on humanitarian affairs in New Sudan.

When peace negotiations began between various Sudan governments and the SPLM between 1985-2005, he was always the Secretary of the SPLM to the Peace Talks continuing until the CPA was signed in January 2005. In 2005 he was appointed Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Sudan (CBOS) and President of the Bank of Southern Sudan (BOSS).

Post-South Sudan independence

After the independence of South Sudan on 9 July 2011, he became the de facto Governor of the Bank of South Sudan (BSS) until he was dismissed by President Salva Kiir Mayardit and replaced by his deputy Kornelius Koryom Mayiik in August 2011.

He introduced the first currency of the country which is the South Sudanese Pound. He co-signed the historic currency with the then Minister of Finance, Deng Athorbei. As a governor he tried his best to fight corruption and misuse of public funds.

He is still within the ranks of Sudan People Liberation Army (SPLA) with the rank of a Lieutenant General. The deceased wrote a book Southern Sudan Struggle for Liberty published by the East Africa Publishers in 2009.

Back to top button
Translate »

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker