Police in France have arrested Félicien Kabuga, one of the most wanted suspects in the Rwandan genocide.
Kabuga according to the French Justice Ministry was arrested in Asnières-Sur-Seine, near the capital Paris where he had been living under a false identity.
He is now aged 84.
Kabuga had eluded international justice for 25 years over crimes allegedly commited during the 1994 genocide.
He has been Rwanda’s most-wanted man and a subject of a $5 million bounty offered by the United States.
The French Justice Ministry said gendarmes arrested him at 0530 GMT on Saturday. He had been living under an assumed name in a flat in Asnieres-Sur-Seine, near Paris.
He is believed to have held the purse-strings of Rwanda’s so-called hate media, which incited ethnic Hutus to murder Tutsis.
His son-in-law was arrested in Germany in 2007.
A top United Nations prosecutor welcomed the arrest.
“The arrest of Felicien Kabuga today is a reminder that those responsible for genocide can be brought to account, even 26 years after their crimes,” said Serge Brammertz, chief prosecutor of the Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals in The Hague.
The International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda has charged the 84-year-old with genocide and crimes against humanity.
He is alleged to have been the main financier of the ethnic Hutu extremists who slaughtered 800,000 people in 1994.
They were targeting members of the minority Tutsi community, as well as their political opponents.