Government of Rwanda has come out to assure tourists and the Rwandan public of security, following a deadly attack late last week in the country’s biggest tourism hub.
At least 14 people were by last evening confirmed dead, and several others badly wounded by unknown gunmen who attacked a village in the Kinigi sector, Musanze District on Friday.
The attack took place in Musanze district which is home to Volcanoes National Park and the mountain gorillas that attract thousands of tourists annually.
The attackers according to police, used machetes, knives to hack the victims, while others were shot dead.
Initially 6 people were killed on spot, but police confirmed last evening that more victims succumbed to injuries at various health facilities, bringing the death toll to 14.
The Rwanda Development Board nonetheless, said in a statement that the tourists’ security wasn’t compromised.
“RDB informs the general public that tourism services continue to operate normally in Volcanoes National Park and all other national parks and attractions in Rwanda following security incidents where unidentified gunmen attacked local communities in Kinigi sector Northern Province” the board said in a statement.
“All visitors, Tourists to Volcanoes National Park are safe”.
Rwandan Security organs said in response they killed 19 of the attackers and arrested five during pursuit.
The police said the attack indicated the “cruelty” of the attackers as some of the victims were stabbed to death at home while some others were to death.