Crime & InvestigationNewsPolitics

Police Block Bobi Wine’s Easter Concerts

Police have stopped Kyadondo East MP Robert Kyagulanyi allias Bobi Wine from holding his planned music concerts during this Easter holiday.

He was set to start his performances on Easter Monday from his One Love Beach in Busabaala on the outskirts of Kampala city.

In a cancellation notice, Police has told Mr Kyagulanyi that despite the elaborate and clean guidelines stipulated in his previous correspondences between him and the security body regarding the preparation of the concerts, he has fallen short of the previously agreed upon positions on lawlessness, safety and security.

In the letter, the police boss Mr Okoth Ochola highlighted some of the shortcomings about Bobi Wine’s performances.

“For example, the disregard for the set and agreed upon guidelines has often resulted in acts related to public nuisance, violation of traffic rules and regulations and various other forms of misconducts which are in breach of the law but endanger lives of Ugandans of whom are not part of revellers,” he said.

On that note, the IGP informed Bobi Wine and his promoters that the concerts shall not be allowed to proceed as planned.

“Police will not be able to secure your planned concerts and will not risk them to be carried out in any unsecure environment,” he said

“You will therefore have to suspend and stop such concerts until such a time that robust public security mechanism are put in placeto secure the venues,” he added

Loading...

The twist of events has surprised many including Bobi Wine since the concerts had earlier been granted a green light by the director of police operations.

Bobi speaks out 

Bobi Wine has since cried out that he had invested huge sums of money to meet the police demands, some of which, according to him, are unreasonable.

“We have just received this letter from the Uganda Police Force stopping all our scheduled music shows – including the one scheduled for tomorrow at One Love Beach,  Busabala. They have been playing ping-pong games for over a month since we wrote to them,” said Bobi Wine on Sunday. 

“Three days ago, they wrote back to us giving us a litany of requirements. We invested huge sums of money to meet their demands, some of which were unreasonable. This was in addition to what we have invested in advertising and preparing the show,” he added.

Bobi said police last night intercepted trucks which were carrying the machines for the show and later today he was informed that there was no show.

He revealed that today’s cancellation of his concerts brings the total number of blocked concerts across the country to 124 since October 2018.

Bobi has since declared plans to contest for president in 2021.

The State says Bobi has previously turned music concerts into political rallies, claims the singer denies.

Tags
Back to top button
Translate »

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker