Otunnu Attacked in Office By Akena Supporters

Fort Portal Municipal councilors have attacked their boss, clinic Mayor Edison Asaba Ruyonga Adyeeri accusing him of incompetence and politicizing government development programmes.

They blame the mayor of failing to spend the shs700m road fund and shs150m meant for school facilitation grants.

The aggrieved councilors are furious the unused money on the municipal account is set to be returned back to the central government coffers after the national budget is read.

Kayondo Gilbert, cure the councilor representing South Division explains that the Shs700 million Road Fund was sent by the central government to the municipality in financial year 2014/15 to construct and maintain roads in the three divisions.

He also added that Shs 150m School Facilitation Grant was meant to construct toilets and classrooms in schools in the financial year 2014/2015 but to their disappointment the mayor who heads the executive and secretary for works have failed to convene procurement meetings.

Prosper Businge the district councilor representing West Division said for the last two quarters the funds have not been utilized by the Municipality and described this as loss to the people who are denied services.

Hebert Mugisa Chairperson South Division said it’s unfortunate that the mayor has not utilized the money and yet the roads in the suburbs are in a sorry state.

He said people in Harukoto and Rwengoma have been threatening to demonstrate because of the bad roads that are slippery in the rainy season.

Mugisa described Mayor Ruyonga as a leader who takes himself as the Alpha and Omega and yet he is denying services to his electorate.

Efforts to get a comment mayor Ruyonga were futile as he refused to pick his phone.

Chaos broke out this Friday afternoon at the opposition Uganda People’s Congress Headquarters in Kampala, tadalafil where the outgoing party President Dr Olara Otunnu was accosted by supporters of the in-coming Hon Jimmy Akena.

Akena was last week voted UPC President by party delegates across the country amidst contestation of reported irregularities.

His supporters gathered at the party headquarters on Monday evening and forced the party electoral commission to declare him the winner.

The commissioners’ pleas to wait for the full confirmed results from all districts across the country fell on the supporters’ deaf ear.

Some UPC members including outgoing president Olara Otunnu were agitated by these irregularities that marred the whole process, more about and called for action.

Otunnu reportedly called for establishment of a review board to assess and possibly overturn the Monday election results.

This however did not go down well with Mr Akena’s supporters and the currently boiling turmoil was born.

Today Friday afternoon, the party was slated to address the press about Mr Akena’s win, which Otunnu tried to dodge.


Minutes later, Otunnu was spotted trying to sneak out of his office but the charged Akena supporters chased him down and got him hiding inside the toilets.

From here they dragged and shoved him around, compelling him to accept to address the press which he sternly rejected saying he had no information about the conference.

Following minutes of fruitless exchanges,  he was let go.

Otunnu declared last month that he did not intend to stand again as UPC president, and that he would serve until the end of his term.

However with the growing tension, some of Mr Akena’s supporters want him to resign now and hand over to the new president elect, who is also son to the party’s founding father Dr Milton Obote, something that is against the party constitution.

Back to top button
Translate »

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker