The Ministry of Health has on Friday announced that one of the alerts to Uganda’s first COVID-19 death has tested positive for the COVID-19.
Uganda’s first COVID-19 death happened on Tuesday, July 21 and was confirmed by the Health Ministry on Thursday.
A 34-year-old female from Namisindwa District died of COVID-19 in Mbale district.
The Health Ministry on Thursday said that 30 of her contacts, 18 from Namisindwa and 12 from Mbale district had been put under quarantine.
The Director-General Health Services in the Ministry of Health Dr Henry Mwebesa has on Friday announced that Uganda has confirmed 10 new COVID-19 cases and one of them is an alert to a COVID-19 death.
“Out of the 10 confirmed cases, 4 are truck drivers, 1 is a contact to a confirmed case from Lwengo district, 1 was an alert from Namisindwa district (the direct index death that occurred on 21st July 2020) while 3 are from Kampala and 1 is a returnee from South Sudan,” said Dr Mwebesa.
Regarding the truck drivers, 2 arrived from Kenya via Lwakhakha point of entry while 2 arrived from Tanzania via Mutukula and Malaba border points.
The 10 new COVID-19 cases announced on Friday were confirmed from 1,785 samples tested for the infection on Thursday.
The new cases have inflated Uganda’s cumulative total confirmed COVID-19 cases to 1,089.
Of the 1,785 samples tested on Thursday, 1,543 were from points of entry while 242 were from contacts and alerts to previously confirmed cases
Since Uganda began testing for COVID-19, a total of 256,040 samples have so far been tested.
Currently, Uganda has a cumulative total number of 1,089 COVID-19 confirmed cases, 975 recoveries and 1 death.