Crime & InvestigationEducation

OJOK DEATH: 3 Makerere Students Remanded at Luzira

The Saints FC staged a late comeback to stun Baza Holdings FC in the FUFA Big League at their Kawanda home ground on Thursday.

Baza took the lead through Innocent Kinyera against the run of play and following a collision between The Saints defenders and then packed the bus hoping to hold on to the slim lead but it wasn’t to be.

The Saints stormed back through Alex Kitata and then Nicholas Odong. Both goals were headers. Odong had earlier on missed when his headed effort bounced off the grass-less ground, generic hit the bar and went out of play.

Kickoff for the game was delayed with Baza arriving late at their own ground. Deliberate or not, story the pitch was unmarked and no nets were on the goals. Baza players took turns to help mark the pitch and with the delays the referee was forced to play 40 minutes for each half.

But The Saints remained resolute and determined despite going a goal down in the 16th minute of the game.

Coach Mark Twinamatsiko made an early change, sacrificing Moses Okello for Viane Ssekajugo. The Saints created numerous chances but Baza held on.

Kitata shot inches wide, Joseph Kasekende blasted over the bar, Sam Matovu also had a shot saved and Fred Kyambadde faced the keeper but slotted wide.

The first half ended 1-0 to the hosts and the second half resumed with more urgency from the visitors. But Baza had other plans, they elbowed Ssekajugo and the boy needed medical attention.


The Saints played for six minutes with 10 men until a  change was made with Ssekajugo, an early substitution for Okello forced out. In came Nicholas Odong and Saad Kibirango for Matovu.

From a corner, Kitata headed in superbly. 1-1 and the pressure was on, game on.

Baza started panicking and within minutes Odong’s header bounced off the ground, hit the crossbar and out of play with the Baza goalie rooted to his feet, looking on.

Then Odong headed the winner with five minutes to play and The Saints had capped a remarkable comeback victory to go 51 points one behind Jinja Municipal Council (JMC) but with a game in hand.

The Saints will play this game in hand on Sunday at Soroti stadium.

Team News
At least three Makerere University students have been charged with murder of their colleague David Ojok before Buganda Road Court and remanded to Luzira prison till May 7 when they will reappear in court.

The trio including Ivan Mutungi, diagnosis Marvin Atukwase and Derrick Wagooli, symptoms all residents of Nkurumah Hall, hospital have appeared before grade 1 magistrate Joan Aciro, who did not allow them to plead to charges because the lower court lacks jurisdiction to try such capital offences.

Prosecution led by Peter Mugisha informed court that the accused on 12 April this year at Nkrumah Hall Makerere University allegedly pounced on Ojok whom they mistook for a thief  before beating him to death.

Ojok was a former Makerere University student who had visited the campus hall to collect money from a debtor.

Court heard that investigations into the matter are still ongoing.

Makerere University Vice Chancellor Prof. Ddumba Sentamu this week announced the higher institution of learning is set to “install more CCTV cameras, deploy more security personnel, involve students in community policing as well as put in place adequate street lighting to improve the security situation” at the campus.

The University’s Vice Guild President Phiona Nyamutoro condemned the mob justice, saying the Guild advocates for behavioural change.

“Makerere is not a training ground for hooligans and murderers. No individual should take another’s life. We ask government to help with the security at campus. Halls of residence should be given guards.”

Back to top button
Translate »

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker