|Ministry of Health Advisory|
|Coronavirus (COVID-19) Alert: Avoid travel, parties, and events. Follow expert advice to protect your family.|
President Yoweri Museveni has Thursday expressed confidence on Uganda’s ability to deal with the threat of the deadly 2019-nConV Coronavirus, which broke out in China recently.
With the virus claiming more than 500 lives so far, and spreading to 25 countries, Uganda has since been on high alert.
But President Museveni today reassured on Uganda’s preparedness to “defeat this virus from China.”
Speaking at the 39th Tarehe Sita anniversary in Nakaseke district, the president contrasted Coronavirus to some of the epidemics that have hit Uganda in the past.
“There is some worry about this virus from China. Yesterday I had a long meeting with the people of Health,” Museveni said.
“But I think it is not all that serious. It is not as serious as AIDS.”
While coronavirus has claimed hundreds of lives and shown potential to spread fast, health officials still believe is not as deadly as previous viral epidemics.
The coronavirus mortality rate currently stands at 2.1%, which is much lower than Ebola (40.4%), SARS (10%) and MERS (30.4%).
Ministry of health announced yesterday that as part of the prevention strategy, they have so far quarantined over 100people who recently flew in from China.
Meanwhile, President Museveni also affirmed government’s commitment to tackle the swarms of locusts that have been projected to invade the country from neighboring Kenya
“We are going to move very decisively both on the ground through spraying… and in the air, using planes,” he said.
Museveni revealed that government is setting up a base in Moroto where these activities will be coordinated.
In the long run, Museveni also announced, Uganda will purchase its own aircraft so that it doesn’t have to rely on borrowing in emergencies like this.