Museveni Okays Purchase of Shs213Bn Medical Equipment from Dutch Company

President Yoweri Museveni has granted permission to the Ministry of Health to purchase diagnostic medical equipment worth Euros 49 million (approximately 213Bn), from Philips Africa (Pty) Ltd, a Dutch company based in Johannesburg, South Africa.

The President made the decision Thursday when he received a delegation from Philips Africa at the State Lodge in Fort Portal, Kabarole District.

The Chief Executive Officer of the Company, Jasper Westerink led the delegation that also included the Dutch ambassador to Uganda, Henk Jan Bakker.

“We do not want to take debts. We only borrow for the construction of hydroelectric power stations and the railway line. The Government is ready to buy the medical equipment. When you diagnose the diseases in Uganda you save money on foreign medical travel and treatment. We are ready to pay the funds over a period of 5 to 7 years. The Government of Uganda is ready to purchase the diagnostic equipment,” he said.

The equipment is expected to facilitate 14 referral hospitals.

The Dutch Government is to provide a 45% grant of Euros 22 million while the Government of Uganda will meet the rest of the 55% cost worth Euros 27 million.

The equipment includes CT scans, x-ray machines, ultra sound and intensive-care unit with particular reference to accident casualties.

They are also to supply theatre and other diagnostic equipment.

State Minister for Primary Health, Hon. Sarah Opendi, revealed that the new equipment would go a long way towards decongesting Mulago National Referral Hospital.

Westerink revealed that the Dutch company has now fully embraced the manufacturing of specialized medical equipment having stopped the manufacturing radio receivers and other related equipment.

He said that his company has got the capacity and commitment to ensure prompt servicing of all its supplies.

(Compiled by PPU)

Back to top button
Translate »

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker