MUK Mob Action: Police Release Report on Deceased Student, Arrests 7 Suspects

Police has Monday released a detailed report indicating events that surrounded the death of a Makerere University finalist student.

The death of Emanuel Tegu, a third year veterinary student that happened last month had raised mixed reactions from the public.

“The task team that is actively investigating the murder of Emmanuel Tegu have Monday arrested some suspects said to be linked to his death. We have so far 7 suspects who are connected to the violent assault that could have led to the subsequent death of the victim, seven days after he was assaulted at the university,” said spokesperson Fred Enanga

In the investigations, Police revealed that it discovered that the deceased had a mental illness condition.

Preliminary findings indicate that on the 27th, June the left his sister’s place in Namungoona to his church at Makerere for prayers.

“That even, at around 10pm, the victim was found by police patrol teams at Makerere behind the main building, half naked and when officers inquired who he was and what he was doing he tried to run away from them,” Enanga says.

“He became more aggressive as they tried to pursue him and started chasing them with stones. We have CCTV footages from the church at St Augstine, Makerere which were clearly showing how he was chasing officers with stones,” said Enanga

“He ran towards St Augstine church and eventually reached Centenary Bank Makerere and even tried to attack two of the security guards at the bank in the university.” he added


One of the guards at bank reportedly raised an alarm which attracted residents from around Lumumba some of whom instead of inquiring details about whom the victim was, they descended on him and started assaulting him. He had no identification on him that could help reveal that probably be was a student of Makerere.

“Eventually police teams got a disturbance call from the area councillors that there was somebody who was being mobbed. Our teams responded and rescued the victim to Mulago hospital.”

Meanwhile, on 29th the victim was discharged from Mulago hospital and he returned home but he had not recovered well. His condition started deteriorating and was taken to Mildmay hospital at Seguku along Entebbe road.

This is where his doctor called Arinda who was managing his bipolar condition that was on Tuesday 30th June. He underwent a CT scan at the facility where they found that there was no effect or injury on his brain but they referred him to Rubaga hospital for a kidney scan.

When he was transferred to Rubaga they did a kidney scan and then they referred him to Mulago hospital where he was admitted but unfortunately on the  30th he passed on.

“We are trying to obtain the postmodern report to indicate whether his death was as a result of the multiple injuries that he suffered during the violent beating at Makerere.” Police said

The task team have so far established that about 10 people are behind the violent assault of the victim. The seven that have been arrested were at the scene of crime at the time of the assault.


Back to top button
Translate »

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker