Muhangi Feared For His Life; Planned to Take Kids Abroad for Safety – Wife  

Patience Muhangi, wife of fallen motor race champion Charles Muhangi on Friday described her deceased husband as a hardworking, selfless man; but one who lived for a long time in fear for his own life.

Muhangi died at his house on Thursday morning, having spent a better part of the night with his friends and seemingly healthy.

Police, who initially took on investigations of the circumstances leading to his death, earlier today ruled out foul play stating that Muhangi died of natural courses.

Addressing mourners at the funeral service of the deceased at All Saints Church Nakasero in Kampala, Mrs Muhangi revealed that her husband was aware that his life was in danger.

“At some point, Charles feared for his security,” she said. “But for me, being born again, I told him that I trusted in God’s protection, more than in man’s protection.”

Mrs Muhangi said her husband didn’t like her counselling and that he accused her of being in denial.

“But I told him that I am grounded in the Lord. This breath is God’s”

According to Mrs Muhangi who is now left with seven of the tycoon’s children, at one point he intended to take them out of the country, for their own safety.


“He said ‘me I can stay, but these kids have to leave.”

At the time of his death, Muhangi was embroiled in a clash with tycoon Drake Lubega over the ownership of Qualicell Building in downtown Kampala.

While Mrs Muhangi did not make any attempt to connect this to his death, she said the squabble badly affected her husband’s health.

“You all know what has been going on for a month. It took a toll on his health. He spent many nights at the (bus) park, coming home at 3 or 4. His health kept on being depleted until yesterday.”

Mrs Muhangi however, expressed optimism that her husband passed away a happy man.

She said he “received the Lord Jesus Christ shortly after he repossessed the land at the bus park.”

“I also believe he died a happy man because he had regained his place at the Bus Park after 12 years of continuous battle.”

Last moments

Mrs Muhangi said she spoke with her husband a few hours before he passed away.

The businessman, she says, returned home at around 2am on Thursday and woke up at 5 am to go back to work.

“When I work up at 5 he was in the shower,” she narrated.

Later on, because he was diabetic, Muhangi pulled a gadget to measure his blood pressure.

He had apparently had the disease for 20 years and was managing it with Insulin according to his wife.

Patience says as it dawned, she had an argument with her husband about the readings of the gadget.

While she saw 44, Mr Muhangi insisted it was reading 4.4.

“I knew he had sight problems, he was even wearing glasses. I decided to let him be.”

Mrs Muhangi says she then set out in the morning to go get her daughter from school  in Gayaza for the holidays, leaving the young children playing with their father’s phone as they usually did.

Later on, as she pulled into the school compound, she says she received a call from her youngest son, informing her that his dad looked dead.

“He said; we are pushing him and shaking him but he is not moving; he is not breathing.  I think he is dead.”

She says she instructed the kids to run and call to the neighbors, who responded quickly, including one Dr Lwanga who confirmed that Muhangi was dead.

Back to top button
Translate »

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker