Telecom giants MTN Uganda and Airtel Uganda have announced the resumption of the Mobile Money services across both networks after a brief suspension of the service that included the bank to mobile transactions.
The suspension followed a “system incident at a third-party service provider” which affected the transactions, the companies said last week.
In a joint statement, MTN, Airtel and Stanbic bank revealed that the breach took place on Saturday 3 October 2020.
“MTN Uganda and Airtel Uganda wish to inform the public and their customers that mobile money services between the two networks have resumed. Customers can now send and receive money across both networks,” reads a joint statement released yesterday October 12.
“We apologise to all customers for any inconvenience this may have caused and reiterate our commitment to delivering secure and seamless mobile money services,” the statement further states.
Last week, after the breach, MTN disclosed that the “system incident” has had no impact on balances on both Bank and Mobile Money accounts.
MTN Uganda would later on confirm that the aggregator, Pegasus Technologies Ltd, was hacked into which affected the bank to wallet transfers.
The telecom, however, denied losing money in the scam.
“On 3 October 2020, an aggregator, Pegasus Technologies Ltd experienced a security breach that impacted Bank to Wallet transfers,” said Wim Vanhelleputte, Chief Executive Officer MTN Uganda.
Wim further stated that the core MTN Mobile Money services namely; cash deposits, withdrawals, Person to Person (P2P) transactions and MoMo payments were never affected nor compromised at any stage as per the breach is concerned.