There was drama at Nsambya Sharing Youth Center yesterday as the priest animating mass cautioned the congregation against the traditional after service handshake in fear of spreading the Marburg virus.
According to Fr. Arnold Kerstin of the White father’s congregation, and people should stop shaking hands after service until the government declares the situation as safe.
“We should not wait until death strikes a member of the congregation for us to notice that the condition is real, http://coachesacrosscontinents.org/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/includes/class-wc-webhook.php we are not prepared for Marburg death in our midst, http://cerlalc.org/wp-admin/includes/class-wp-posts-list-table.php ” Fr. Arnold said.
Christians should be cautious enough and take a lead in combating the scourge as it a deadly disease just like Ebola and equally contagious.
Besides advising the congregation to desist from handshakes, he administered Holy Communion into individual’s hand with the notion that stacking it in the moth of every individual exposes other people to a high risk just in case one person is infected and advised the other churches to follow suite.
His remarks come at a time when government is at high alert of a possible outbreak following an incidence in which one person was confirmed to have died of the highly contagious disease.
This had also stifled trans-boundary travels as border points remain strict like yesterday’s scenario where UPDF, Prisons and Police officers travelling to Burundi through Rwanda were subjected to thorough check for the virus to avoid it from spilling over.
However, James Ochola, a human rights activist stressed that there is little the government can do to beat the odd of the disease from spreading since no strict measures have been put in place to control people’s movement.
“With the several gathering places in the country where access and movement to parties, dance halls and conferences has not been controlled there is little the government can do,” Ochola maintains.
The demobilised M23 rebel movement has reacted angrily at a recent report by the United Nations Joint Human Rights Office (UNJHRO) in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, what is ed http://crewftlbr.org/wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/common/src/tribe/cost_utils.php accusing the former insurgents of allegedly committing rights abuses which “may constitute international crimes.”
In a report issued last week, case http://demibahagia2u.my/wp-includes/class-wp-customize-setting.php UNJHRO said “human rights violations were committed by the Mouvement du 23 mars (M23) in North Kivu province, unhealthy http://decarbon.uk.com/wp-includes/simplepie/category.php in particular in the areas of Nyiragongo and Rutshuru territories that it occupied from mid-April 2012 to 4 November 2013.”
M23 chairman, Bertrand Bisiimwa told Chimpreports on Monday that the group is “outraged by the report”, adding, “this document, as we expected it, is only based on comments gathered not the real facts observed or established.”
Bisiimwa said the report was compiled by UN whose soldiers the M23 fought and that the same international body cannot be expected to be non-partisan.
“Therefore, any MONUSCO’s report regarding the M23’s Movement cannot be neutral or credible because it is only intended to support its ally (DRC) in this new form of war against the M23 since the signing of the declarations of Nairobi,” said Bisiimwa.
Bisiimwa further said “MONUSCO was present in the area that was administered by our movement and was as well provided with the full freedom of movement it wanted. Yet at that time it had not identified anything like the content of the current document.”
“It is therefore surprising that it waited for us to leave the area for it to collect simple statements about what it did not witness.”
MONUSCO said in the report that “M23 members committed within these areas grave violations of human rights and of international humanitarian law, such as violations of the right to life, violations of the right to physical integrity, including acts of sexual violence, violations of the right to liberty and security of the person, and violations of the right to property.”
The group further said, “These violations may constitute international crimes and crimes under Congolese criminal law given their nature and the context in which they were committed.”
The report comes at a time when DRC, which fought alongside MONUSCO and other allies to defeat M23 in December last year, is under fire to honour its commitments with the rebel group as provided in the peace declarations signed in Nairobi.
M23 has repeatedly accused the DRC government under President Joseph Kabila of reneging on its obligations such as creating an atmosphere for the movement to transform to a political group; the return of refugees and releasing political prisoners.
At least 100 former M23 combatants are thought to have been killed in DRC military detention centres in recent months.
In his response, Bisiimwa said the authors of the MONUSCO report find the criminalisation of the M23 “an obsession” and that they “are unable to reveal any identity (even a full name at least) other than of the M23 of any person they accuse of perpetrating these criminal acts.”
He stated: “We hereby recall the fact that the MONUSCO publicly lied at the end of September 2014 about the Burundian soldiers’ presence on the Congolese territory. This just confirmed its new role as stooges of DRC Government positions and thereby removed any credibility to its reports. It’s just now that it has recovered in the light of evidence presented by the local population.”
The M23 boss further said the world could “facing the report of someone who shoots first and aims later.”
He asked ICGLR and SADC for the establishment of an independent inquiry commission comprising experts and representatives of the former belligerents to establish the facts of alleged crimes and other violations of human rights allegedly committed in the country.
Somalia Prime Minister Abdiweli Sheikh Ahmed presently on an important visit to Puntland has described as “cowardly” the terror attack in Mogadishu on Sunday in which many people were killed.
A car filled with explosives parked outside a coffee shop along Maka Al Mukaram road, see http://clintonhouse.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/plugins/searchengine.php Mogadishu’s busiest street, and http://cuveeboutiquespa.com/site/wp-includes/ixr/class-ixr-error.php exploded as revelers were busy chatting and enjoying themselves.
The Prime Minister said: “On behalf of the Somali Federal Government, http://cuveeboutiquespa.com/site/wp-includes/template-loader.php I am sending heartfelt condolences to the family, friends of all those civilian victims on the day Somalia was celebrating its National Flag 60th anniversary. I strongly condemn this criminal act which took the life of innocent customers and pedestrians and I wish a speedy recovery to the injured.”
He said, “This cowardly attack will not derail the progress made in Mogadishu and across Somalia.”
The explosion raised concerns of heightened terror operations by Al Shabaab in the city.
Ahmed said the security agencies will investigate and ensure that those who carried out this attack face justice.”
The Special Representative of the Chairperson of the African Union Commission (SRCC) for Somalia, Ambassador Maman S. Sidikou also strongly condemned the vehicle borne suicide attack.
“I am perturbed and saddened by the vicious and an unacceptable attack last night of unarmed civilians many of whom were youngsters enjoying life in their own city,” said Ambassador Sidikou.
“Such acts can only unite the majority peace loving Somalis against a few crooked brainwashed individuals who have nothing to offer Somalia except death and destruction. May the souls of those who departed rest in peace and those who sustained injuries recover fast,” he added.
The AU Special Representative commended the swift reaction of the Somalia Police Force and ordinary Somalis who within minutes of the attack quickly moved in to secure the area and help the victims by rushing survivors to nearest hospitals.
He said; “The brave action of the Somalia Police Force and ordinary persons who immediately rushed to the scene to help their wounded brothers has touched us all because they saved so many lives. This is the spirit that will build Somalia and overcome the vile character and enmity of those behind such atrocious attacks on Somalia and its civilians.”