State Minister of Labour, Mwesigwa Rukutana, has this Tuesday morning been returned to Ntungamo district where he will appear in court over the political violence that rocked Rushenyi this past weekend.
Rukutana was on Monday charged with threatening violence, attempted murder, assault causing bodily harm and malicious damage.
Court presided over by Grade One Magistrate Nazifah Namayanja heard from prosecution among others that the minister, who is also the MP for Rushenyi Constituency on September 5, 2020 at Kagugu Village in Ntungamo district, unlawfully attempted to cause the death of one Daniel Rweiburingi.
The State also claims the minister damaged the victim’s vehicle number UAR 840X and also verbally threatened to kill him.
The Magistrate yesterday remanded Rukutana to Kakiika Prison in Mbarara until today Tuesday when he would appear before the Chief Magistrate for his bail application.
Court is expected to start as soon as the Chief Magistrate arrives.
Relatives and friends of Rukutana have already taken their seats in the courtroom.
Rukutana’s lawyers said in a statement today that his son and a Reverend were blocked from accessing a road by men who were driving a Rav 4 car, leading to his intervention.
“At no point did the Minister or his bodyguard release any bullet. The weapons of the Minister’s guard and his weapons were all retrieved by police and are available for inspection and the truth shall be established that the weapons never released any bullet nor is there any shell of any bullet at the scene,” said Rukutana’s lawyers.
President Museveni condemned the violence in Ntungamo and other areas during last week’s NRM primaries.
Museveni said Minister Rukutana and other culprits would face the full stretch of the law.