News

Mao Blocked in Mbale After Writing To Museveni

Police in Mbale blocked the opposition Democratic Party (DP) presidential candidate Nobert Mao from accessing his scheduled campaign venue on Saturday.

This was shortly after Mao wrote to President Museveni over excessive force used on opposition presidential candidates by the security agencies.

“As we tried to enter Mbale city marching towards our scheduled venue, Police forced us to change our program. They used unnecessary force. We also decided to rally the people and they (Police) started firing unnecessary tear gas. I condemn the police actions in the strongest terms possible,” Mao said shortly after he was blocked by police.

“There is a letter I have written to President Museveni. It addresses only one issue, excessive force by security agencies in this election campaign It will later be public,” he added.

Mao recently promised to write a letter to President Museveni over harassment of opposition presidential candidates by security agencies after National Unity Platform (NUP) presidential candidate Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu aka Bobi Wine was blocked from addressing a rally in Kayunga district on December 1, 2020 which later resulted into a shooting that left his car badly damaged by the bullets.

The fracas also left many people injured including Bobi Wine’s Head of official security Wilfred Kato.

Unlike Bobi Wine and his Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) counterpart Patrick Amuriat Oboi who have seen the wrath of police and other security agencies in this election campaign, Mao’s campaign rallies have recently not been sabotaged by the police.

He said he has always explained to the police everywhere he has been and both parties reached a consensus. But in Mbale, it was contrary after Police blocked his rally.

Loading...

Mao said he is convinced that there will be change of Government after Museveni’s 35-year rule.

“I am convinced that there will be change of Government this time. People no longer fear. Ugandans want to see change of Government without chaos and bloodshed,” he said.

Asked what his plan is for the people of Bugisu sub region, Mao said that as he has done in all other sub regions he has so far visited, every sub region including Bugisu will have a public University.

Mao did not forget to the challenge of land and mudslides that have severally hit the people of Bududa district and left hundreds dead.

“There is a challenge in Bududa district. In our Government, we promise to have a National Disasters Fund. We want to allocate funds to the National Disasters Fund to respond to emergencies and also allocate funds to the Land Fund to resettle the people of Bududa.”

He added that he plans to build a gold processing industry in the Bugisu sub region basing on the fact that the region is rich in minerals.

Mao’s other promises for Bugisu sub region included; reviving cooperatives, building coffee processing factories among others.

Back to top button
Translate »

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker