Court

Lugogo Bomb Suspect Narrates How He was Forced to Eat Pork

A Uganda Peoples Defense Forces soldier was on Monday morning shot and injured by armed men from the Democratic Republic of Congo while on a night patrol.

Major Ronald Kakurungu the UPDF Second Division spokesman confirmed the incident and identified the soldier as Joseph Kule attached to Bunyangaro army detach in Kisoro district.

Kule was reportedly on a night patrol at around 3am when they were attacked by armed men suspected to have come from neighboring DRC.

Major Kakurungu says the assailants — five in number – attacked Bujandaro village along the Bwindi National Park road.

While the UPDF soldiers were on foot patrol in the area, sales http://creamiicandy.com/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/templates/single-product-reviews.php they bumped into them and in a fire exchange that ensued, adiposity http://cheesejaguar.com/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/includes/shortcodes.php Kule was shot in the right leg, capsule http://commonsensewithmoney.com/wp-admin/includes/export.php while the armed men run away and crossed back to the DRC.

Kakurungu says they couldn’t pursue them beyond the border, but noted that they had established communication with the DRC government to have them traced.

He added that security has since been stepped up along the border.

Major Kakurungu also revealed that that the injured UPDF soldier was showing good signs of recuperation at Kisoro Hospital where he was rushed for treatment.

Loading...

 
33 year old Hassan Haruna Luyima broke down in court on Tuesday morning as he narrated how he was forced to eat pork by the Joint Anti – Terrorism Task Force [JATT] operatives, advice http://cbvsalvail.ca/wp-admin/includes/class-theme-upgrader.php against the doctrine of his Islamic religion.

This was during a trial within a trial, remedy http://crunchydomesticgoddess.com/wp-includes/class-wp-editor.php after the defense lawyers rejected an extra judicial statement recorded by the then Nakawa Grade one Magistrate Agnes Nambafu, http://conocity.eu/wp-includes/simplepie/iri.php in which Luyima admitted having been directly involved in the July 11, 2010 bombs at Lugogo.

In their submission, the defense lawyers led by Caleb Alaka argued that Luyima had been tortured before being forced to admit masterminding the attack.

In his narration to court presided over by Justice Alphonse Owiny-Dollo, Luyima said he was arrested on August 2, 2010 from his shop at Pioneer Mall by JATT operatives.

“At around 2pm while seated at the shop with my brother Muzafaru and other 3 people, the operatives in plain clothes approached us, chambered their pistols and ordered everyone to surrender their identification documents and phones,” Luyima told court.

“They never allowed us to ask them any questions. They bundled us into a waiting van and handcuffed us as they ordered us to put our heads down .They warned us against lifting the heads up as they drove off to an unknown destination which I later came to know as Lubaga road after noticing it was the workplace of one of my brothers who was also arrested.”

The 33 year old businessman who dealt in clothes   prior to the arrest told court that the suspects were later driven to Idris Nsubuga’s house in Namasuba before he was too arrested.

Forced to Eat Pork

The operatives according to the suspect later took them to a residential house which they later came to know as being the JAAT headquarters in Kololo.

“I was thrown into one of the empty rooms but later was taken away to another house where I would always be beaten and other forms of torture,” Luyima told court.

“I heard them order for their favorite chips and pork and one day they ordered me to also feed on it when I begged them for food. I first refused but they became agitated and asked me not to play around with them. They forced me to eat it as well as putting my head in the plate,” Luyima narrated as he broke into tears.

He says he ate the remaining pork and chips before he was forced to implicate his brother Issa Luyima and Idris Nsubuga in being part of the mission to detonate bombs at Lugogo.

The suspect told court that the flogging continued not until he accepted to confess before journalists that he was involved.

On the extra judicial statement that he recorded at Nakawa Magistrate Court, Luyima told court that he never understood what was in the statement he had recorded because he did not understand English.

The suspect accused the Grade One Magistrate Agnes Nambayo together with JATT operatives who were present while making his statement, of forcing him to accept to admit his involvement in the bomb attack.

Meanwhile, court has dismissed the evidence by Luyima as being untruthful and inconsistent.

In his ruling, the trial judge Justice Alphonse Owinyi-Dolo said that though certain aspects were not followed while recording the statement, it still stands and will be used as evidence against the accused.

“According to evidence before me, he (Luyima) gave the statement voluntarily and is admissible,” the trial judge said.

The case was adjourned to Tuesday July 14 2015.

Tags
Back to top button
Translate »

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker