Makerere University’s Acting Secretary Yusuf Kiranda has come out to reassure that a number of important items were unscathed by the two fires that burnt down the University’s main building last week.
Speaking last night on Radio One’s Spectrum Extra Talk Show, Yusuf Kiranda refuted claims circulating on social media that a big chunk of the pertinent documents was reduced to ashes.
Whereas they are still assessing the amount of damage, Kiranda said a number of documents stored in the Office of Vice Chancellor Prof. Barnabas Nawangwe were unscathed while those in his office were saved ahead of time.
“Some documents which we had in the office of the Vice Chancellor, those were evacuated. Up to now the office of the vice chancellor is still safe,” Kiranda explained.
“We mainly keep our land titles in the Bank but we also had a good number of titles in the office of the university secretary, luckily; they were in a safe which is fire proof,” he stated.
Kiranda also elaborated that no artifact was lost as they had been secured by the time the second fire broke out on Monday.
More so, he said, the main hall which is on the ground floor is in good shape and being ascertained by a combined team of engineers from Ministry of Works and the University’s Estates department.
“So the main hall is safe and the fire didn’t get there. But at the moment until the engineers finish the structural integrity tests, it is not possible to be allowed within the main hall because it is part of the overall super structure,” Kiranda stated.
Currently, he revealed that the University Council has resolved to set up a Committee that will look into these loopholes.
Nonetheless, the Secretary affirmed the University is proceeding with plans to receive final year students.
“Our medical students are due to report on 3rd October and they will finish their semester on 28th November. But also other final year students in consistency with government decisions will report on 17th October and will complete their semester on 12th December,” he concluded.
It remains to be seen whether the institution will fix all these loopholes without shifting the burden to private students.
In October last year, moves by the University to increase tuition by 15% triggered week long riots that led to the temporary closure of the institution.
During the saga, the then acting Vice Chancellor Umar Kakumba informed this website at the time that out of MUKs 316 billion shillings, fees collection accounted for 35% and the rest was Government subventions.
Worse still, Kakumba pointed out that 50% of this entire money was for paying staff salaries.