News

Kibalama Speaks Out on Meeting CDF Muhoozi, Backtracks on $5Million Promise

Moses Nkonge Kibalama, the former head of the National Unity Platform (NUP) has told High Court in Kampala that he held a meeting with the Chief of Defence Forces Gen David Muhoozi to discuss his misunderstandings with the new leaders of the party under Robert Kyagulanyi (Bobi Wine).

Kibalama who was summoned by court last week for cross examination, made the confession while appearing before the court this morning.

The 59-year-old revealed that during the time he was taken away from his house about two weeks ago, he was called to meet with the army commander.

He however didn’t divulge much about what was discussed in the meeting or where it took place.

Pressed by Counsel Lubega Segona, Kibalama told the fully packed court that in the said meeting with the CDF, they discussed issues concerning the change of name and leadership of the National Unity Platform (NUP).

After the meeting which he said took place on a Sunday, the CDF, he said, told him he could go back to his home.

He however, denied assertions by the lawyers that he also met with the Head of the Internal Security Organisation (ISO) Mr Kaka Bagyenda.

Kibalama also revealed that for the two weeks, he had been held at an undisclosed place in Mbale district by security forces.

Loading...

On whether or not he had applied for state protection, Kibalama answered in the negative.

Contacted for a comment about the CDF meeting, the UPDF spokesperson Brig Flavia Byekwaso said she was in a meeting and promised to get back to us.

Asked how he got to know that court had summoned him last week, Kibalama told court he read about it secretly in the media.

“Somebody smuggled in a newspaper into the place where I was, that is how I got to know about the summons,” he said.

In the same court session, Mr Kibalama’s colleague Paul Simbwa Kagombe also confirmed that he was being held in Mbale by security.

Regarding his earlier recorded statement in which he denounced Bobi Wine, Mr Kibalama seemed to walk back on claims that he had been promised USD 5million by Bobi Wine and the People Power team.

“I am not aware of this arrangement,” he said, adding. “I was not selling the party. Political parties are not meant to be sold.”

Mr Kibalama however, struggled in court to explain how he signed two affidavits on the same date one negating the other.

The court heard that Mr Kibalama on September 14th at 8pm assigned an affidavit with Lukwago and Co Advocates in which he affirmed the transfer of NUP’s leadership and change of name.

However, the lawyers presented another affidavit which Kibalama claims to have signed on the same date four hours earlier at 4pm, negating what was in the 8pm affidavit.

Kibalama on the other hand, reaffirmed that he had provided falsified information to the Electoral Commission, to facilitate the renaming of his party.

During the court session NUP lawyers led by Lubega Segona asked court to forward Mr Kibalama to the DPP for prosecution for lying to a public institution EC.

Justice Musa Sekaana adjourned the matter to October 16th and asked the defendants to file their submissions  by October 6th.

Tags
Back to top button
Translate »

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker