The family of the arrested veteran journalist Joseph Kabuleta has petitioned the High Court’s civil division seeking orders for him to be produced in court dead or alive
In the Habeas Corpus application filed through Walyemera and Company Advocates, the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Commandant Special Investigations Unit (SIU) and the Attorney General are listed as respondents in the matter.
These allege that Kabuleta was kidnapped last week on Friday by plain clothed men and driven away in a Toyota Wish motor vehicle registration number UBB 459D from Drew & Jacs Café at forest mall, Lugogo
The family want Kabuleta, who is currently under detention without trial to be brought before a judge or magistrate of a competent court to be formally charged in case he is accused of any offence, or to be released
In her affidavit, Ms Rebecca Kabuleta said the detention of her husband is illegal, unlawful, unconstitutional and an infringement of his personal liberty.
She added that security blocked her, other relatives and a team of doctors from accessing him.
Kabuleta was arrested on Friday evening and later charged with offensive communication against President Yoweri Museveni
Addressing press today, the Director of Public Prosecution Mike Chibita revealed that they received Kabuleta’s file and its under perusal
This being a matter of great public concern, he said, any time he is going to be produced in court as soon as they done with everything.