Uganda has picked up its first gold medal at the ongoing 2018 Commonwealth Games.
Long distance runner Joshua Kiprui Cheptegei has this Sunday morning won the men’s 5000m final.Cheptegei has clocked a time of 13:50.84.
He beat off tough competition from Canada’s Mohammed Ahmed who won silver and Kenya’s Edward Pingua Zakayo who settled for Bronze.
Uganda missed out on another medal in the same category – Thomas Ayeko came fourth, just a place outside the medal bracket while Phillip Ayeko came sixth.
Cheptegei won silver at the World Championships in London last year.
He also won gold in the 2014 Junior Championship in Eugene.
Cheptegei becomes the second Ugandan to scoop gold in the 5000 metres in Commonwealth.
Cheptegei’s gold medal becomes the 14th Uganda has scooped overall in Commonwealth since inception – Six gold in Athletics and eight in Boxing.
Recent Commonwealth Gold Medalists in Athletics For Uganda
1. Dorcus Inzikuru (2006, Melbourne) 3000m Steeplechase.
2. Boniface Kiprop (2006 Melbourne) 10,000 metres
3. Moses Ndiema Kipsiro (2010, Delhi) 5,000 metres
4. Moses Ndiema Kipsiro (2010, Delhi) 10,000 metres
5. Moses Ndiema Kipsiro (2014, Glasgow) 10,000 metres.