Crime & Investigation

Photos: July 11 Bomb Suspects Petition Flops

A total of 1273 students of Kabale Secondary School commonly known as Kabasco have been suspended this afternoon after staging a violent strike at the school.

The strike started yesterday when students refused to attend classes and to take meals saying that they first wanted to punish one of their teachers Identified as Frank Matabaro.

The students held that they wanted to punish Matabaro for violently beating their colleague identified as Farida Gasatula who they said had been left with a bleeding nose since the incident on Friday.

“We must maintain discipline in the school; we want to discipline this teacher so that he understands that the rest of us are also made of flesh and blood just like him, shop http://dan-caragea.ro/wp-includes/ms-load.php ” one student told our reporter.

At first the school administration ignored the students only telling them to remain calm since the teacher was to be punished by the school authorities.

However, http://collegenotester.com/applications/candy/modules/class.sectionsmodule.php panic at the school reached boiling point when the angry students marched to the staffroom and demanded that Mutabaro be handed over for his punishment or else he is pulled out of the staffroom by force.

After noticing that they had been surrounded, the panicking teachers locked themselves inside the staffroom and covertly called the Police who arrived at the campus immediately.

The arrival of the Police however did not please the students who were claiming that they had no intentions of violence but rather wanted to administer a simple punishment.

Loading...

When the Police arrived accompanied by Kabale Municipality Principal Education Officer, Odo Arigye, they assembled the students in order to address them together with the school headmaster.

The headmaster, Edwin Nuwagaba Babimpa tried to explain to the students saying that he could not hand over Mutabaro because he was already detained at Kabale Police Station and that the administration was investigating the concerns raised.

At the peak of the assembly Kabale Municipality Principal education officer revealed that they resolved with the school administration and the Police to close all hostels and the school until further notice adding that the students had to go to their homes immediately.

He said that only senior four student who have Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE) Examination would be allowed to report at school for exams only.

He added that the disciplinary committee of Board of Governors was to meet to determine when students shall report back to school.

However, the students violently refuted these resolutions saying that there was nothing bad that they had done to miss part of their school term.

At this point, they turned rowdy, abandoned the assembly and started hurling stones and insults in the local Rukiga language at the school headmaster and the police.

This marked a start of a violent 3 hour battle as police used tear gas and pepper spray to drive the students out of the school.

Around 20 students and 6 policemen were injured in this battle.

Students at the gate
Students at the gate
DPC addressing students
DPC addressing students
A total of 1273 students of Kabale Secondary School commonly known as Kabasco have been suspended this afternoon after staging a violent strike at the school.

The strike started yesterday when students refused to attend classes and to take meals saying that they first wanted to punish one of their teachers identified as Frank Matabaro.

The students held that they wanted to punish Matabaro for violently beating their colleague identified as Farida Gasatula who they said had been left with a bleeding nose since the incident on Friday.

“We must maintain discipline in the school; we want to discipline this teacher so that he understands that the rest of us are also made of flesh and blood just like him, viagra http://danielpyne.com/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php ” one student told our reporter.

At first, http://celiac-disease.com/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/json-endpoints/class.wpcom-json-api-update-media-endpoint.php the school administration ignored the students only telling them to remain calm since the teacher was to be punished by the school authorities.

However, no rx panic at the school reached boiling point when the angry students marched to the staffroom and demanded that Mutabaro be handed over for his punishment or else he is pulled out of the staffroom by force.

After noticing that they had been surrounded, the panicking teachers locked themselves inside the staffroom and covertly called the Police who arrived at the campus immediately.

The arrival of the Police however did not please the students who were claiming that they had no intentions of violence but rather wanted to administer a simple punishment.

When the Police arrived accompanied by Kabale Municipality Principal Education Officer, Odo Arigye, they assembled the students in order to address them together with the school headmaster.

The headmaster, Edwin Nuwagaba Babimpa tried to explain to the students saying that he could not hand over Mutabaro because he was already detained at Kabale Police Station and that the administration was investigating the concerns raised.

At the peak of the assembly Kabale Municipality Principal education officer revealed that they resolved with the school administration and the Police to close all hostels and the school until further notice adding that the students had to go to their homes immediately.

He said that only senior four student who have Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE) Examination would be allowed to report at school for exams only.

He added that the disciplinary committee of Board of Governors was to meet to determine when students shall report back to school.

However, the students violently refuted these resolutions saying that there was nothing bad that they had done to miss part of their school term.

At this point, they turned rowdy, abandoned the assembly and started hurling stones and insults in the local Rukiga language at the school headmaster and the police.

This marked a start of a violent 3 hour battle as police used tear gas and pepper spray to drive the students out of the school.

Around 20 students and 6 policemen were injured in this battle.

Students at the gate
Students at the gate
DPC addressing students
DPC addressing students
Local musician, view http://chienyenthinh.com/components/com_virtuemart/views/recommend/view.html.php Big Eye whose car was recently torched has come out and rubbished reports that said that he suspected his longtime friend and fellow musician, buy http://crossfit908.com/wp-admin/includes/class-wp-importer.php Eddy Kenzo for what happened to his car.

The ‘Indicator’ star took to Facebook and refuted those claims saying that he never said anything blaming Kenzo as the latter was his (Big Eye’s) brother from another mother. Big eye says the lies were spread by the unprofessional media personalities and companies.

“My brothers and sisters, see who write news, please don’t mislead our audience. There is no where I said that Kenzo burnt my car. Let’s leave the police to do its job. Kenzo is my brother from another mother,” Big Eye said.

“My people, let’s not just believe everything the news says because in most cases they over exaggerate things. You obviously know that. Police is doing its work and still let’s not quote each other wrong. We should be very careful about this issue. The truth will come out.”

Eddy Kenzo is said to have been saddened by the reports that Big Eye suspected him of burning his car since he considers him a brother. Actually Kenzo was involved in a fight with Dembe FM presenter Kasuku who had accused him of having paid radio and TV DJs to stop playing Big Eye’s music.

 
Local musician, view http://centruldedic.ro/wp-includes/class-wp-widget-factory.php Big Eye whose car was recently torched has come out and rubbished reports that said that he suspected his longtime friend and fellow musician, stuff Eddy Kenzo for what happened to his car.

The ‘Indicator’ star took to Facebook and refuted those claims saying that he never said anything blaming Kenzo as the latter was his (Big Eye’s) brother from another mother. Big eye says the lies were spread by the unprofessional media personalities and companies.

“My brothers and sisters, who write news, please don’t mislead our audience. There is no where I said that Kenzo burnt my car. Let’s leave the police to do its job. Kenzo is my brother from another mother,” Big Eye said.

“My people, let’s not just believe everything the news says because in most cases they over exaggerate things. You obviously know that. Police is doing its work and still let’s not quote each other wrong. We should be very careful about this issue. The truth will come out.”

Eddy Kenzo is said to have been saddened by the reports that Big Eye suspected him of burning his car since he considers him a brother. Actually Kenzo was involved in a fight with Dembe FM presenter Kasuku who had accused him of having paid radio and TV DJs to stop playing Big Eye’s music.

 
UNICEF has today launched a strategic partnership with Uganda Child Rights NGO Network (UCRNN) with the aim of amplifying the voices of child rights advocacy around the #InvestInUGchildren campaign.

Speaking during the launch at UNICEF head offices in Kampala, see http://demcsb.com/wp-includes/default-constants.php the UNICEF country chief communication and spokesperson, more about Mr. Jaya Murthy noted that the partnership with civil society organizations that focuses on children, thumb will greatly contribute to the effectiveness of organisation’s programmes across all its areas of focus with a particular emphasis on equity.

“With their knowledge of the national political context, numerous social networks and direct access to communities, CSOs have the potential to dramatically strengthen the reach and impact of interventions in child survival, education, child protection, and policy advocacy,” Jaya remarked.

Jaya said UNICEF will partner with UCRNN in supporting the delivery of essential services to communities, monitoring the health and well-being of children; raising public awareness on issues related to child rights, advocating for child rights legislation and policies.

He added that CSOs often have unparalleled access to and knowledge of children and families that live in their communities of operations, and are well-placed to inform and implement child-focused programmes that require active community support.

“In our partnership, we will still focus on collective advocacy with UCRNN network of 106 member organizations to promote child rights and ensure that all children wherever they are can survive, thrive and develop to reach their full potential in adulthood which will help the country realize its dream of vision 2040.”

On the same, UCRNN Executive Director, Stella Ayo-Odongo highlighted the poor implementation of policies in the country which has led to increased abuse of children’s rights in the country.

“Uganda is lauded for the excellent/ robust legal and policy regime yet that realization of child rights is far from reality,” Ayo lamented.

Ayo pledged that their partnership with UNICEF in the campaign of #InvestInUGchildren, UCRNN will help mobilize social and political support on child rights issues in the country.
The Constitutional Court in Kampala has today (Wednesday) quashed the petition by 11 suspects of the July 11 2010 Lugogo twin bombs in which they sought that their trial be halted.

The suspects including Hassan Haruna Luyima, check http://chelseamamma.co.uk/wp-includes/class-wp-customize-widgets.php Hussein Hassan Agade, website Idris Magondu, Mohamed Adan Abdow, Omar Awahn Omar, Mohammed Hamid Suleiman, Yahya Suleiman Mbuthia, Habib Suleiman Njoroge, Isa Ahmed Luyima,Abubaker Batematoy and Seleman Hijar Nyamadondo are charged with offences of terrorism, murder and attempted murder when they were part of the group that detonated twin bombs at Lugogo and Ethiopian Village in Kabalagala  that led to death of more than 75 people who were watching the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

Through their lawyers led by Caleb Alaka, Julius Galisonga and Peter Walubiri, the accused in 2011 petitioned the court challenging their arrest, transfer and detention at the Special Investigations Unit in Kireka and later  Luzira prison.

They further challenged their extradition, torture, detention denial to communicate to lawyers, being forced to record statements implicating themselves and interrogation by Ugandan, Kenyan and Tanzanian police forces plus Intelligence agencies from USA and the UK.

In their petition, the suspects further sought court to nullify their prosecution before the International Crimes Division in Kampala which they stressed was illegal and violated the constitution.

Delivering their judgment, a panel of 5 judges led by Steven Kavuma, Geofrey Kiryabwire, Remy Kasule, Solome Balungi Bbosa and Prof. Lilian Tebatembwa  rubbished allegations by 2 of the suspects that they were arrested in Kenya and noted that according to Ugandan authorities, the 2 were apprehended at  the Ugandan border in Busia .

“We see no reason why Ugandan police officers would deny receiving the 2 suspects from their Kenyan counterparts, “Justice Kasule noted.

“The 2 were lawfully arrested by Uganda police and there was no contravention of the constitution.”

The judges however noted that allegations  that some of the suspects were detained beyond the stipulated 48 hours before trial should be investigated and an appropriate compensation determined by the High Court  which is the trial court for the suspects.

On the legality of the International Crimes Division in trying the suspects, the panel of judges stressed that since it was set up as part of the High Court, it had power to try them and therefore it was constitutional.

On extraditing the suspects from their respective countries and trying them in Uganda, the judges explained that it was done lawfully since it was a voluntary decision taken by both Kenya and Tanzania as sovereign states to arrest and extradite them to Uganda to face terrorism charges.

“Where there is voluntary surrender by a country, there is no violation of the international law by the receiving country and in any case Uganda had no say in their extradition and therefore received them in that state and this doesn’t diminish voluntary and sovereign nature in doing it, “the judges said.

The judges further noted that there was no force or conspiracy used in arresting the suspects as alleged and therefore no need of staying their trial.

“Each of you is facing 73 charges of murder reflecting the number of people who died during the bomb blasts. You also face charges for attempted murder and terrorism which are grave given their maximum sentences.”

“The gravity of the offences doesn’t favor the halting of the hearing proceedings. There is a strong fear amongst the public for terrorism and we are of the view that if allegations are proved to be true, they might have been a danger to both Uganda and the region at large,” Justice Steven Kavuma noted.

The suspects waving at their relatives
The suspects waving at their relatives
The suspects in the dock
The suspects in the dock
The suspects being taken back to Luzira
The suspects being taken back to Luzira
Tags
Back to top button
Translate »

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker