Police yesterday issued an update about the building that collapsed in Jinja town on Wednesday, announcing that the death toll has reached four.
Deputy Police spokesperson ACP Polly Namaye says the building complex which was still under construction is estimated to have had close to 32 workers on site at the time of its collapse.
So far, 12 people have been pulled alive out of the debris and admitted at Jinja referral hospital.
“The rescue operation is still on-going with the hope of finding any more people who could still be trapped alive under the rubble and help them to access emergency treatment,” said Namaye in a statement.
“Four bodies have so far been retrieved and taken to Jinja hospital for post-mortem and hand over to relatives for burial.”
The deceased have been identified as; Joseph Isabirye, 20, a casual laborer and a resident of Buhuma village in Butagaya subcounty, Denis Muhofa, 29, a casual laborer resident of Walukuba East.
The others are Sadi Balaba aged 18 also casual laborers and a resident of Kabowa village, Budondo subcounty and Akiram Bosco 22 years, a casual laborer and a resident of Kabowa vilage, Budondo sub county all in Jinja district.
However, police stated that the exact number of the people who are still missing has not yet been established.
“The Police re-assures the public that rescue efforts will continue until the team is sure that there are no more people trapped under the rubble. We have intensified efforts to locate and question the site engineer, as well as the site supervisor,” Namaye said
The investigation is also analyzing critically the building materials used in the construction of the ill-fated building to establish whether they are of standard quality not or if the construction itself was shoddily done.
“We have requested for a technical report from the municipal engineer as the investigation into this matter continues.” said police