Crime & InvestigationSpecial Reports

INVESTIGATION: Inside the Life of Terror Suspect Jamal Kiyemba

Alexander Tumu

Kibaale district health authorities in collaboration with Kagadi Town council have closed down over 7 herbal clinics for operating without the required certification documentations.

The herbal clinics located in various places of Kagadi Town council were forced to shut down during an operation sanctioned by Kibaale Health Department, cialis 40mg Kagadi Town council and other stakeholders.

The operation carried out on Tuesday afternoon was led by Peter Situma the Health Inspector for Greater Buyaga County.

During the operation, mind Situma says it was found out that the herbal clinics which are being frequented by many people with various health complications are operating without the required documents certifying the standards of herbal drugs, nurse and that their workers are not trained.

It has also been found out that herbal clinics are using indeterminate laboratory equipment which they don’t even know how to operate.

The affected herbal clinics include; Ekisa Kyakatonda Kyiwonya Endwade Company Kagadi Branch, African Medicine for Research, Tamba Clinics and Massage center, Tianshi Food Supplements, Dianpharm Food Supplements, Green world International, and Butambala Herbal Medicine.

According to Situma, the affected clinics are not supposed to re-open for operation before putting in place all the requirements or else their owners will face legal actions.


Some of the affected herbal clinic operators however downplayed the authorities’ reasons given for their closure saying that they know what they are doing.

36 years ago, medicine a baby boy was born in a strong Roman Catholic family in Bunamwaya, Wakiso District. He was named Anthony Kiyemba.

At the time, Ugandan patriots had managed to overthrow the regime of the notorious Dictator Idi Amin. The year was 1979.

Kiyemba was born at a time of political turmoil with Ugandan warlords fighting bitterly for power.

During President Museveni’s NRA war against the regime of Milton Obote and the Okello Junta, Kiyemba went to St. Savio Primary School in Kisubi and later the prestigious St. Mary’s College, Kisubi.

At school, he was playful and amiable, according to friends.

How did Kiyemba, who accommodated the tough Roman Catholic rules at the two schools, become one of the most dangerously radicalised young men, risking his life on battlefields with the Taliban fighters in the Pakistan Mountains?

There is fear that perhaps the groups he interacted with could have led to a change of heart to tow the extremist Islamic calls for Jihad against the West after U.S. launched a massive bombardment campaign to topple the Taliban government in Afghanistan.

Security sources said Kiyemba’s life faced a huge blow when his parents, Simon Peter Musisi and Teresa Namuddu of Masaka, divorced. This was around 1985.

Teresa would later shift to United Kingdom, leaving Musisi and Kiyemba in Uganda.

According to security records seen by ChimpReports Investigations Desk, Musisi would later die in a fatal road accident in 1989.

Several family members tried to provide basic necessities and education to Kiyemba in vain.

He left St. Mary’s College, Kisubi at the age of 14 to join his mother and siblings in London, UK. The year was 1993.

Kiyemba managed to proceed with his studies at Pope Paul II Secondary School in Wimbledon where he excelled in science subjects.

The young man, who had hopes of becoming a Pharmacist, joined De Montfort University in Leicester to study pharmacy, but never completed his medical course.

Sources suspect Kiyemba was radicalised around 2001 when the U.S. President George Bush declared war on Iraq and Afghanistan, bombing President Saddam Hussein and the Taliban government from power.

Kiyemba, who changed his name to Jamal Abdullah Kiyemba, flew to Pakistan in 2002 to support the Taliban in fighting the U.S. invaders.

In March 2003, he was arrested by Pakistan intelligence which told United States that he had participated in armed training and battlefield operations with Jihadists.

The U.S. paid $5,000 to the Pakistan security before detaining Kiyemba for six months in the country and later American Bagram Airbase in northern Afghanistan.

It was decided that the hardened Jihad fighters should be relocated to Guantanamo Bay detainment camps in Cuba. He was held there on suspicion of being a terrorist.

His Guantanamo Internment Serial Number was 701. The Department of Defense said then that Kiyemba was born on April 22, 1979, in Bunamwaya, Uganda.

Kiyemba’s lawyer, Clive Stafford Smith, said then that Kiyemba was a participant in a hunger strike which started in July 2005 in protest at the conditions in the camp and alleged maltreatment, including alleged desecration of the Qur’an by American guards.

The hunger strike ended on July 28, 2005 after promises were made to address the detainees’ concerns. Many detainees resumed the hunger strike on August 8, 2005, believing the camp authorities had not lived up to their promises.

Sam Kutesa, the Ugandan Minister of Foreign Affairs, was quoted on December 12, 2005 about his government’s responsibility to intervene on Kiyemba’s behalf.

He said: “I understand that Britain gave up on him. I am yet to look at the papers. We have to intervene, but this depends on the documents.”

Leaving Guantanamo Bay

Initially the Bush administration asserted that they could withhold all the protections of the Geneva Conventions to captives from the War on Terror. This policy was challenged before the Judicial branch. Critics argued that the USA could not evade its obligation to conduct competent tribunals to determine whether captives are, or are not, entitled to the protections of prisoner of war status.

Subsequently the Department of Defense instituted the Combatant Status Review Tribunals. The Tribunals, however, were not authorized to determine whether the captives were lawful combatants — rather they were merely empowered to make a recommendation as to whether the captive had previously been correctly determined to match the Bush administration’s definition of an enemy combatant.

Detainees who were determined to have been properly classified as “enemy combatants” were scheduled to have their dossier reviewed at annual Administrative Review Board hearings. The Administrative Review Boards were not authorized to review whether a detainee qualified for POW X status, and they were not authorized to review whether a detainee should have been classified as an “enemy combatant”.

They were authorized to consider whether a detainee should continue to be detained by the United States, because they continued to pose a threat – or whether they could safely be repatriated to the custody of their home country, or whether they could be set free.

The factors for and against continuing to detain Kiyemba were among the 121 that the Department of Defense released on March 3, 2006.

The following primary factors favoured the continued detention of Kiyemba:

The detainee stated that any system like a democracy, which tries to end Sharia law, is worthy of a Jihad against it and that he knew Afghanistan (AF) lived under Sharia law before September 11, 2001.

After September 11, 2001, the detainee travelled from England to Iran then to Pakistan in an attempt to travel to Afghanistan in order to fight in the Jihad.

While waiting in Pakistan on his way to Afghanistan, the detainee received weapons training on the Ak-48. The detainee learned how to shoot, assemble and disassemble the weapon.

Kiyemba stated that he travelled to Afghanistan to “try to stop the aggression against the innocent.”

While attempting to travel from Pakistan to Afghanistan in order to fight in the Jihad, the detainee was arrested at the border.

He stated that if he had a weapon, he “might attack Camp Delta guards and would also go fight Jihad in the future if he found a way.”

He however stated that he would never be a threat, adding, “September 11, 2001 was a terrorist attack against women and children, which is never warranted.”

Kiyemba was transferred to the United Kingdom in the winter of 2006, only to be denied entry and deported to Uganda.

He was detained in Uganda for two months at a two storeyed house in the leafy suburb of Kololo before being officially released on April 18, 2006.

According to the BBC, 02/06/06, he was considering whether to fight the government decision not to let him back into Britain.

Kiyemba further stated: “I have lived in a 21st Century nightmare. I have been held hostage by the most developed, advanced, richest superpower”.

Police boss Gen Kale Kayihura did not speak about the arrest of Kiyemba from her residence along Entebbe Road, saying it would be prejudicial.

But residents said he had been arrested on several cases including human trafficking but released.

Since Kagezi’s murder in Kiwatule on March 30, police have been searching for her killers in a wider anti-terrorism investigation.

The siege at Kiyemba’s house, which was led by police commandos and U.S. security personnel, lasted several hours before three suspects were forced onto a car to an unknown destination.

Forensic experts combed the house for exhibits which were taken by a counter terrorism operative using a motorcycle.

The United States Embassy in Kampala said in a statement that “U.S. government personnel supported Ugandan police operation that successfully apprehended several individuals suspected of being involved in the assassination” of Senior Principal State Attorney Joan Kagezi.

“The support was provided at the invitation of Ugandan authorities and we congratulate them on this highly successful operation.”

Back to top button
Translate »

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker