Forum for Democratic Change candidate in the forthcoming Jinja East Member of Parliament (MP) by-elections and his team dubbed ‘Elect Mwiru Campaigning Team’ have discovered that multiple illegitimate voters have been sneaked into the voters’ register.
Paul Mwiru, the FDC candidate, made the revelation Sunday while talking to the media, blaming the electoral commission for allowing such illegal activities to happen on their watch.
Mwiru said that he deployed his team to ensure only those legible to voter appear on the register to avoid instances of election malpractices.
Transfer documents indicating all the fraud were obtained in the process, Mwiru said.
It should be recalled that the Jinja East MP seat fell vacant after the former representative from the ruling National Resistance Movement (NRM) party Nathan Igeme Nabeta was thrown out of parliament by court over election malpractices.
It was Mwiru who had dragged him to court.
During the press conference, Mwiru presented photocopies of the National identification cards and transfer forms from people who are not residents of Jinja East.
According to Mwiru, there are supposed to be only 826 new entrants in the voters’ register, that is, 123, who shifted to Jinja East and 703 from the district.
But, according to Mwiru, there are more 15 names that were illegally included.
To that effect, the FDC candidate said that he was ready to take anyone found involved in those unlawful acts to court.
He also appealed to voters to go and check their names in the register on 12th-21st this month to avoid inconveniences on the voting day.
So far 7 candidates have shown interest in the polls that will be conducted on march 17.