South Sudan has now lost over 30 military generals, former Chief Justice, a serving Member of Parliament and academicians in a period of one month
On the country’s worst day yet, 10 deaths of prominent figures including former head of Military Intelligence, Lt. Gen. Nuor Jok were recorded.
Government officially between May 13 4:00pm and May 14 4:00pm announced the passing on of 10 officials.
None of these however, were linked to COVID-19.
The former spy chief, just like former Burundian President, Pierre Nkurunziza, reportedly suffered cardiac arrest.
South Sudan has officially registered 1,670 cases of COVID-19, 48 recoveries and 24 deaths. The fatality from the closed cases (72) stands 33% which is among the highest in world considering the global average of 10%.
Four of the five vice presidents were declared COVID positive as well as a number of ministers including for Defense and Information.
Below are some of the ranking officials that have passed away since April in South Sudan
- Brig. Gen. Ajang John Jok Ajang; he died on 27th April 2020 in Juba, and was working as deputy director of South Sudan National Police Services in Bor, Jonglei.
- Maj. Gen. Matoc Akol Dot died on 05th May 2020 and was working as a Police Officer in the Ministry Of Interior, Juba-South Sudan.
- Maj. Gen. Tang Wal Lual died on 08th May 2020 and was working as a Military Officer In South Sudan People’s Defense Force (SSPDF).
- Prof. Aggrey Ayuen Majok died on 9th May 2020 and served as the former Vice Chancellor of Dr. John Garang Memorial University of Science And Technology and Vice Chancellor Of Rumbek University.
- Brig Gen. Rekeboam Arem Kun Nai died on 09th May 2020 and was a great teacher who taught other teachers across South Sudan. Since 1996, Arem taught many teachers at New Cush Military Training College.
- Sultan Nyal Chan Nyal died on 11th May 2020 and was the Paramount Chief of Awan Chan section in Warrap State.
- Gen. John Madeng Gatduel died on 13th May 2020 and was the head of South Sudan People’s Defense Force logistics at the Bilpam’s SSPDF HQRs.
- Lt Gen. Marial Nuor Jok died on 14th May 2020 and was the Former Head of The Military Intelligence (MI), South Sudan.
- Lt Gen. Liah Diu Deng died on 13th May 2020 and was among the First Group to Fire Bullets at Wangkei Sudanese’s Garrison in Western Upper Nile and later assigned to work in Prison.
- Justice Bullen Panchol Awal Alier, He died on 14th May 2020 and was The Former Judge of the Supreme Court, Ministry Justice Of South Sudan.
- Sultan Deng Macham Angui died on 19th May 2020 and was the chairman of South Sudan Councils of Chiefs in Juba, South Sudan.
- Brig.Gen Tenfiz Bol Ater died on 24th May 2020 and was also working a businessman in South Sudan when he had no appointment yet in SSPDF.
- Hon Nyang lul Gai died on 24th May 2020 and was a member of legislature Assembly South Sudan Representing his people in the Parliament of South Sudan.
- Lt Gen Andrew Monydeng Kuot died on 22nd May 2020 and was working as a Director in South Sudan National Prison.
- Brig.Gen Bol Nyuol Mathiang died on 23rd May 2020 and was working as former education attaché to embassy of South Sudan in Nigeria.
- Maj Gen Arou Maan Chot died on 22nd May 2020 and he was the first former commissioner of Bor County and National MP in 2010 General Elections.
- Lt Gen. Manyok Dut died on 26th May 2020 in Juba and was working as an official officer in SSPDF.
- Hon. Athian Achiec (Mawengdit) died on 18th May 2020 in Juba.
- Col. Kur Nyang died on 18th May 2020 in Juba and was working in Defense Force’s Administration in Bilpam SSPDF HQs.
- Brig.Gen Majier Riak Makol died on 14th May 2020 was a Military Officer in SSPDF.
- Ambassador Paul Machuei Malok died on 17th May 2020 in Juba, Giada Military Hospital.
22.. Honorable Ajuong Abundit Mayuol Kuel died on 28th May 2020 in Juba and was the first governor of Northern Bahr-el-Ghazal State, Aweil and a graduate.
- Sultan Majokdit Akuak Mayen died on 1st June 2020 in Juba and was a great Paramount Chief of Jalle Payam of Bor County, Jonglei State.
- Hon. John Luk Jock died on 02nd June 2020 in Juba and was the current Minister Of East Africa Community Affairs.
- Lt Gen. John Ding Deng Arok died on 02nd June 2020 in Juba and working as an Officer in South Sudan National Prison Services.
- Comrade Alier Bullen Panchol Awal died on 18th May 2020 following the death of his beloved father Justice of Supreme Court Bullen Panchol Awal.
- Mr Riak Marol, a basketball coach died in Juba on 29/05/2020
- Lt General Dut Manyok died on 26/05/2020 in Juba
- Prof. Aggrey Ayuen Majok, former Vice Chancellor Of John Garang Memorial University Of Science And Technology and Vice Chancellor Of Rumbek University.
- Maj. Gen Jacob Monytoc was working as a Military Officer In South Sudan People’s Defense Force (SSPDF).
- Hon. Nyang lul Gai, member of the National Assembly.
- Bol Nyoul aka Bol Machar former education attaché to embassy of South Sudan Nigeria, died in Juba.
- Athian achiec
- Brigadier general Majier Riak makol
- Maj. Gen. Jacob monytoc.