The acting Director General of Health Services (DGHS), Dr Anthony Mbonye, has gone to court, protesting his removal from the position by the Health Ministry Permanent Secretary, Dr Diana Atwine.
Dr Atwine, basing on recommendations by the Inspector General of Government (IGG), on September 25 ordered Dr Mbonye, who has been in the position since June last year, to immediately vacate office over alleged conflict of interest for allegedly interfering with the recruitment process that is a mandate of the Health Service Commission (HSC).
“The purpose of this memo is to inform you that your assignment as acting DGHS is hereby withdrawn with effect from today 25th September, 2017. You are directed to handover office immediately to me,” Dr Atwine’s internal memo reads in part.
The memo also indicates that Dr Mbonye would return to his previous position as the Director of Health Services.
However, ChimpReports has seen court documents indicating that Dr Mbonye has challenged the IGG probe report and Dr Atwine’s decision to dismiss him.
Dr Mbonye accuses Health Minister Jane Ruth Aceng and Dr Atwine of inferiority complex and witch-hunting him.
“I am more qualified (than them). I am a PhD holder, a professor and senior to them in the profession. Yet they are above me, they have inferiority complex and want me to leave by all means,” Dr Mbonye told this website in an interview.
He also denied interfering with the said recruitment process, saying at the time he was acting as the permanent secretary.
“I was acting PS and I opened up Health ministry positions. HSC is a constitutional independent body. It didn’t find any problem and I did not participate in the shortlisting,” Dr Mbonye added.
However, when contacted, Dr Aceng denied witch-hunting Dr Mbonye and instead alluded to the IGG report which she said is handling “Integrity issues.”
Dr Atwine could not answer our calls.