Hassan Alwi and Joseph Kamya (navigator) are the winners of the 2020 International University of East Africa (IUEA) Jinja rally.
Alwi who won five of the six sections of this championship was undermined before the start of the second event on this year’s National rally Championship calendar but held nerves to maintain his day one dominance.
The driver also doubles as the Director of the institution that sponsored this event and managed to post a time of 1:19:19:2 to clinch the three-day championship.
Adding to his day One triumph, Alwi successfully won day one ahead of Ronald Sebuguzi “Kikankane” and Rajiv Ruparelia that came in 2nd and 3rd respectively.
The IUEA Jinja rally win now puts Hassan Alwi in third position of the NRC standings with 100 points below Fred Busulwa and Umar Mayanja.
Meanwhile, Ponsiano Lwakataka finished second overall over the weekend having been late by one 1 minute and 12 seconds.
Arthur Blick sealed the podium finish in the 3rd position with a time of 1:22:50:6 beating 4th placed Kepher Walubi by 6 minutes and 3 seconds.
Fred Busulwa finished the rally in the 5th position while Abdu Kateete, Godfrey Nsereko, Ibrahim Lubega, Sanya Mansoor and Ruparelia finished in the 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th places respectively.
Notably, Rajiv failed to live up to the billing as he couldn’t add on to his impressive day one performance.
Top 10 Finalists
- Hassan Alwi/Joseph Kamya – 1:19:19:2
- Ponsiano Lwakataka/Paul Musaazi – 1:20:32:3
- Arthur Blick/George Ssmakula – 1:22:50:6
- Kepher Walubi/Asuman Muhammed – 1:28:47:2
- Fred Busulwa/Joseph Bongole – 1:29:41:2
- Abdu Kateete/Rahma Muhammad – 1:31:35:7
- Godfrey Nsereko/Raymond Munyigwa – 1:44:32:9
- Ibrahim Lubega/Geoffrey Serwoga – 1:48:00:1
- Sanya Mansoor/Uarban Mulindwa – 1:49:03:8
- Rajiv Ruparelia/Enock Olinga – 1:52:58:0
- Fred Busulwa (130 points)
- Omar Mayanja (110 points)
- Hassan Alwi (100 points)
- Duncan Mubiru (90 points)
- Ponsiano Lwakataka (80 points)
- Arthur Blick (60 points)
- Dr Ashiraf (60 points)
- Kepher Walubi (60 points)
- Abdu Kateete (45 points)
- Robert Kasana (40 points)
Next on the 2020 National Rally Championship calendar is the third event dubbed Masaka rally scheduled for 3rd-5th April 2020. lineup