Government has come in the open on the military siege of former spymaster Gen David Sejusa this morning, saying that he is safer that way.
Sejusa’s home was this morning surrounded by Military officials, in the presence of UPDF land Forces, Col Leopold Kyanda.
Our reporter Kenneth Kazibwe said journalists at the scene were blocked from taking pictures of the heavy deployment before being asked to leave.
Government Spokesperson Ofwono Opondo a couple of hours later confirmed that Sejusa has been put under confinement for reasons he didn’t divulge.
Opondo tweeted, “Renegade and bellicose Gen David Sejusa has been put under confinement by the UPDF, and he is safer that way #UPDF disciplined force”
He went on, “The days of naked impunity by military officers in Uganda is long gone, if Gen Sejusa had forgotten
#UPDF disciplined force”
Sujus’s Political Organisation, Free Uganda earlier issued a statement claiming that the General had been denied chance to speak to any person including his lawyers.
“Free Uganda continues to re-assure all Ugandans and the whole world that this intimidation and harassment will not divert the liberation platform from its set mission of calling for change in the way Uganda is governed,” read the statement.
Sejusa on Thursday said at a press conference that he does not fear being arrested and that he would fight on for good governance and respect for human rights.
It is still widely held that Sejusa will be dragged to the court martial to face charges of treason, spreading harmful Propaganda, desertion and planning insurrection.