The Federation of Uganda Football Associations (FUFA) has approved the request made by Uganda Premier League side Bright Stars Football Club to change it’s name.
Effective 2020/2021 season, the UPL outfit will change to Soltilo Bright Stars, a new brand name for their Japanese majority shareholder.
The decision was reached during the FUFA Executive Committee meeting held on Tuesday, chaired by the FUFA President Eng. Moses Magogo.
Soltilo Bright Stars FC joins other UPL clubs that have changed names including Vipers SC (formely Bunamwaya), Wakiso Giants (Kamuli Park), Tooro United (Soana), Busoga United (Kirinya Jinja SS) among others.
The Federation also approved the change of names for FUFA Big League side Dove All Stars that will be now called Arua Hills Football Club owned by Development Structures (U) Ltd.
Light SS FC and Bukedea Town Council have changed their identities to Soroti City FC and Black Power FC respectively while Gulu based U-Touch will become Gulu City Council effective next season.
FUFA Executive committee, however, rejected a request made by Sports Club Barca to change their name to Ibanda United FC due to the fact that the name was earlier used by another team and could lead to integrity issues.
FUFA rules on change of club names
• Change of club name shall be in accordance with FUFA regulations on club ownership.
• A Club competing in any one of the FUFA Competitions as defined in Art 2(9) shall not be permitted to change its playing name (i.e. the name under which the Club competes in a Competition), as recorded in Form F101 and Form F901, save with prior written permission of the FUFA Executive Committee.
• Any application for a change of playing name must be received by the FUFA CEO before 1st April in any calendar year in order for it to be considered for adoption in the following season. The FUFA Executive Committee will use its discretion in deciding whether to approve a change in a Club’s playing name.
• Notwithstanding the provisions of Art 11(2) above, no change of name shall be permitted in situations of an acquisition or takeover that compromises the sporting integrity of football competitions.
Full List of Approved requests
• Bright Stars FC to Soltilo Bright Stars FC
• Kengere Ward FC to FC Soroti Thunders
• Light SS FC to Soroti City FC
• Diamond Stars FC to Arua City Council FC
• Future Options FC to Rwampara Bulls FC
• U-Touch FC to Gulu City Council FC
• Northern City FC to FC Pager
• Ibanda United FC to Ibanda Municipal Sports Club
• Bukedea Town Council FC to Blacks Power FC
• Doves All Stars FC to Arua Hills FC
• Faith Hope Love FC to Moyo Town Council FHL FC