News

Foreign Affairs Ministry Speaks Out on Recorded Videos of Ugandans Stuck in Saudi Arabia

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has spoken out on recorded videos circulating on social media concerning a group of Ugandans who claim that the Ugandan Embassy in Saudi Arabia did not attend to them.

In one of the videos, women are seen stranded at the Ugandan Embassy in Saudi Arabia and the Ministry says it has conducted investigations and found out that the women visited the Embassy on a Friday when the mission was closed.

“Whereas the Embassy is committed to helping Ugandans in the diaspora, it should be noted that some of the women recorded in the videos visited the Embassy on Friday, June 26, 2020, when the repatriation mission was closed. Friday is a weekend and a non-working day in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia,” the Ministry clarified in a statement.

It added that the Embassy has a shelter which used to accommodate stranded cases arising from the suspension of international flights due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The same, it said, is true to facilities being provided by the Saudi Arabian Government.

“It is therefore increasingly difficult to handle new cases,” the statement further reads.

The Ministry however noted that all the cases presented at the Embassy including women in the videos have been dealt with.

“Therefore, there are no Ugandans waiting or stranded outside the Embassy in Saudi Arabia.”

On the issue of flags at the Embassy being flown at half-mast, the Ministry said it was not an error.

Loading...

It was because all Ugandan offices including Missions abroad had been directed by President Museveni to do so in honor of the late Burundian President Pierre Nkurunziza.

Museveni had ordered that the Ugandan flag and the East African Community flag be flown at half-mast at all Ugandan offices and Missions abroad until Nkurunziza is laid to rest.

 

Tags
Back to top button
Translate »

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker