The leading opposition Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) party on Monday dismissed President Yoweri Museveni’s country tour “useless, costly and aimed at creating a poorer and vulnerable population dependent permanently on handouts.”
FDC spokesperson and opposition Chief whip in Parliament Hon Ibrahim Semujju Nganda accused the president of blowing billions of shillings of tax payers’ money on the country tour.
He noted that the president spent 17.5 billion shillings touring the country “under the guise of promoting wealth creation, on top of another 15.7billion that he asked for in May 2019 for classified expenditure under his residence, making it a total of 33.2 billion shillings in three months.”
The FDC mouthpiece believes the Operation Wealth Creation (OWC) program has been a disaster.
“The country knows the OWC which Museveni declared on June 9th 2014 and now five years is as disastrous as all his campaign slogans such as Entandikwa, Modernization of Agriculture and Prosperity for All. This is because the aim was never to help people out of poverty. Today more than 70% of the population is still producing for the stomach,” Semujju said
Semujju says the 33.2 billion shillings could have been used to open up an Agricultural Bank or build industries to process farmers’ Agricultural produce.
Besides the presidential tour, the FDC mouthpiece while speaking to press this morning, strongly condemned the acts of police that teargassed and dispersed party members recently in Tororo which led to the arrest of President Patrick Amuriat Oboi, who was charged with disobedience of statutory duties and lawful orders.
Last week on Monday, Amuriat appeared in Tororo Chief Magistrates Court and his case was adjourned to 22nd August 2019 (today).