A student in police custody has confessed to detectives that he started last week’s fire at St Bernard’s SS, Mannya, in Rakai District that claimed lives of 11 students.
Several people, including students and a warden at the school, were arrested in connection with the incident that left over 40 other students injured, leaving the nation in shock.
And now detectives investigating the inferno, who requested anonymity because he is not the official police spokesman, told this website that one of the students in police detention said he started the fire with the help of another man who is not an employee at the school.
“The boy gave us clues and we are still interfacing with him for more information. We are looking for the said intruder who allegedly helped him start the fire. Just know that investigations are progressing well,” the source said on Tuesday.
“Soon you will see the suspects in court,” he added.
When contacted, Mr Charles Mubiru, the Rakai Resident District Commissioner, declined to reveal more information, saying we should wait when the suspects will appear in court.
Police spokesperson Emilian Kayima also declined to reveal details and said investigators are winding up their work and suspects will be charged in court anytime soon.
The revelation will come as a source for the families of the fire victims who were laid to rest last Friday after police concluded the DNA tests.
Assailants are said to have locked the dormitory from outside with two padlocks and sprinkled petrol inside before setting it on fire. It was housing 60 Senior Three students.
Meanwhile, the premises of St Bernard’s SS, Mannya remain cordoned off, with only police investigators seen interviewing witnesses and suspects.
The head teacher, Mr Henry Nsubuga, had on Monday planned to address a press conference but cancelled it at the last minute without any particular reason.