The Electoral Commission has verified and cleared the supporters of four aspiring candidates for the 2021 Presidential Elections.
They are Yoweri Kaguta Museveni (NRM), Fred Mwesigye (Independent), Henry Tumukunde Kakurugu (Independent) and Nancy Kalembe Nancy (Independent).
Some of the candidates whose submissions are being verified include Robert Kyagulanyi alias Bobi Wine of National Unity Platform (NUP).
Bobi recently alleged that his nomination signatures were taken during a police raid of his offices in Kamwokya, a claim authorities dismissed as baseless.
Section 10(b) of the Presidential Elections Act provides that a Presidential candidate’s nomination shall be supported by not less than 100 persons who are registered voters, from not less than 98 districts, which form two thirds of all the districts of Uganda.
“The Commission is still verifying the supporters of 18 other aspiring candidates,” said Acting Electoral Commission spokesperson Paul Bukenya on Sunday.
He said the Presidential aspirants who have attained verified supporters from at least 98 Districts/Cities shall be issued with a certificate of compliance which they will present to the Returning Officer on nomination day.
The nomination of Presidential Candidates shall be conducted on Monday, November 2 and Tuesday, November 3, 2020, at Kyambogo University Sports Grounds.
Below is the full list of verified/unverified presidential aspirants.
1. Yoweri Kaguta Museveni (National Resistance Movement – NRM), *verified & cleared*
2. Bbaale Charles (Ecological Party of Uganda – EPU), under verification
3. Tumukunde Henry Kakurugu (Independent) *verified & cleared*
4. Mwesigye Fred (Independent) *verified & cleared*
5. Mayambala Willy (Independent) under verification
6. Lugudde-Katwe Elizabeth (Independent) under verification
7. Mutono Mbulambago Robert (Independent) under verification
8. Ebetu Simon (Independent) under verification
9. Mabirizi Joseph (Independent) under verification
10. Kabuleta Kiiza Joseph (Independent) under verification
11. Yamureebire Jothan (Independent) under verification
12. Makmot Moses (Independent) under verification
13. Okoth Geoffrey (Independent) under verification
14. Kyagulanyi Ssentamu Robert (National Unity Platform – NUP) under verification
15. Katumba John (Independent) under verification
16. Kalembe Nancy Linda (Independent) verified and cleared
17. Katushemererwe Brenda (Independent) under verification
18. Amuriat Oboi Patrick (Forum for Democratic Change – FDC) under verification
19. Mugisha Muntu Gregg (Alliance for National Transformation – ANT), under verification
20. Sserunjogi Henry (Independent) under verification
21. Chemuko Wakuri Fred (Revolutionary People’s Party – RPP), under verification
22. Mirembe Phiona (Independent) under verification