News

DPP Clarifies on Withdrawal of Murder Charges against Minister Nantaba

The Directorate of Public Prosecution (DPP) has clarified on the withdrawal of murder charges against State Minister of ICT and National Guidance, Aidah Nantaba.

Nantaba and three others are accused of killing Ronald Ssebulime around Mukono on March 24th 2019.

The deceased, while already handcuffed, was shot at close range by police who responded to an alarm made by the state minister.

On Monday a letter from the Director of Public Prosecution, Mike Chibita Chibita to Mukono Resident State Attorney to withdraw the murder charges against Nantaba and her three co accused leaked to the media.

“This is to inform Court that the Director of Public Prosecution has decided to discontinue proceedings against Nantaba Idah Erios, PC (police constable) Opira Ronald, PC Baganaza Ronald and PC Cherotic Edward charged with murder,” said the letter.

DPP in a statement on Tuesday, signed by the Senior Assistant DPP in charge of Public Relations Jane Okuo Kajuga, acknowledged the letter emphasizing that it’s within its constitutional mandate.

“We confirm that the document is authentic and is authored within the exercise of the DPP’s constitutional mandate though it was circulated prematurely,” said the statement.

The statement explained that though the case was privately lodged by Sebulime family through private lawyers, the DPP took over.

Loading...

“This case was privately instituted but taken over by the DPP,” added the statement.

The DPP noted that legal procedures which provide for the withdrawal of privately instituted criminal matter through the consent of court are being followed.

“The lawful procedures therefore involve formal proceedings before the trial court highlighting reasons for the withdrawal and seeking court’s consent.

On June 28, 2019 Mukono Magistrate Court, which is handling the case, issued summons against Nantaba and three others for causing the death of Ssebulime.

DPP noted that another case it had instituted over the killing of Ssebulime is still in court.

“We also want to clarify that the ODPP had previously instituted criminal charges in respect of the same murder case where one person has been charged. This case is ongoing in court,” said the DPP.

 

Tags
Back to top button
Translate »

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker