News

Death Toll in Isingiro Floods Rises to 3; More Still Missing

The number of people killed by floods that struck Kabuyanda and Birere sub counties in Isingiro district last week has risen to three, authorities have revealed.

At the weekend, this website reported that a 15-year-old girl had been swept away by running water from hills following days of heavy rain in the area.

And on Sunday, the chairperson Kabuyanda sub county, Mr Justus Byensi, confirmed the death of two other people.

He identified the deceased as Mark Akandinda, 13 years, son to Bernard Twesigye also resident of Rubagano cell Kabuyanda. The other is Habibu Sulayimalani, 22 years, who tried to cross a flooded area that ended up sweeping him away.

Byensi said that the other two who are missing are adult males who were cutting timber.

He said during the occurrence of tragic incident, an eye witness who he failed to get identity shouted and called the deceased Mark Akandinda to escape death after sensing danger from loud noise from the hills.

The Member of Parliament for Isingiro south Alex Byarugaba Bakunda while eulogising the families of the deceased in Rubagano appealed to all people living in valleys and other fragile areas to be extra careful when torrential rains fall to avoid such calamities.

Byarugaba urged national forestry authority to cooperate with local leaders in registering the people they give permits to deal in timber for security purposes and record management.

Loading...

Over the last 10 days, Western Uganda has experienced heavy rain that has destroyed several bridges, roads and gardens. Isingiro, Kamwenge, Ntungamo, and Kabale districts have been affected most.

Back to top button
Translate »

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker