In an effort to prevent the outbreak of the deadly Coronavirus (COVID19) in the country, Government though the Health Ministry has issued a travel advisory on a total of seven countries, calling on people there to postpone non-essential travel to Uganda.
The countries which were listed Saturday my Health Minister Jane Ruth Aceng are; China, South Korea, Italy, France, Germany, Spain and Iran.
These make up some of the most hit, as the virus continues to spread rapidly across the globe.
Travelers from the listed countries, who feel they must come to Uganda, the minister said, will have to undergo self-quarantine for 14 days on arrival, even if they show no signs of the virus.
The self-quarantine or institutional (health facility) quarantine where necessary, will be at the visitor’s cost.
Meanwhile, the ministry has also named another 8 countries whose citizens visiting Uganda will be placed under intense scrutiny.
These are, UK, Switzerland, Norway, Netherlands, Sweden, Belgium, India, and USA.
Minister Aceng says the Ministry is monitoring the situation in these countries and that it will be issuing travel restrictions when necessary in the coming weeks.
Currently, the ministry is watching a total of 1296 travelers, Chinese, Ugandan and others, who the minister described as ‘high risk’ and are being keenly followed up.
“So far, samples from 20 who presented with signs and symptoms similar to COVID-19 have been tested and they all turned out negative,” the minister said.
Coronavirus, which broke out in Wuhan, China late last year has claimed over 3400 lives as of Saturday. Globally, more than 100,000 cases have been confirmed.
Among other measures taken, Government of Uganda has since suspended all international conferences that were slated to take place in the country.
The Health Ministry has also issued strict guidelines to be followed by event organizers, that include providing proper sanitation for everybody, good ventilation, and blocking anybody that shows flu signs.