Uganda’s two clubs SC Vipers and KCCA FC are set to learn their opponents in the next round of the CAF Confederation Cup.
The tourney is the secondary Africa club competion, an equivalent of Europa (Europe) and Copa Sudamericana (South America).
The draw for the 1/16th round is set to take place on Friday December 28 at the Nile Ritz-Carlton in Cairo, Egypt at 7:00 PM Uganda time.
Vipers who won the Uganda Premier League last season, dropped from the CAF Champions League.
The side eliminated El Merriekh (Sudan) but failed the next hurdle when they lost 3-1 on aggregate to Moroccan side CS Constantine.
KCCA FC, the Uganda Cup winners, received a bye on the first phase before ousting Mtibwa Sugar from Tanzania with a 5-1 aggregate victory.
There is a possibility for both Uganda clubs to face off, if we are to go with the CAF’s draw procedure released on Friday.
The Draw Procedure As Revealed By CAF:
1. A draw will be done to determine the matches to be played between the 7 seeded teams of CL (POT A) and the non-seeded teams of CC (POT D)
– One ball will be drawn from pot A & one ball will be drawn from pot D
– This procedure will be repeated 7 times.
2. Another draw will be done to determine the matches to be played between the 5 seeded teams of CC (POT B) & the non-seeded teams of CL (POT C)
– One ball will be drawn from pot B & one ball will be drawn from pot C
– This procedure will be repeated 5 times.
3. A final draw will be done to determine the matches to be played between the
remaining non-seeded teams of CL & CC (POT C & D respectively)
– One ball will be drawn from pot C & one ball will be drawn from pot
– This procedure will be repeated 3 times.
Note: ES Tunis is exempted from the 2nd 1/16th Final round and goes through to the Group Stage
automatically seeing that it is the highest ranked club of all 16 teams.
KCCA’s possible picks:
Vipers SC (Uganda), AS Otoho (Congo), African Stars (Namibia), ASC Jaraaf (Senegal), El Nasr (Libya), Bantu (Lesotho), Jimma Abar Jifaar (Ethiopia) and Ittihad Tanger (Morocco).
SC Vipers Possible Picks
KCCA (Uganda), Zamalek (Egypt), Raja Casablanca (Morocco), RS Berkene (Morocco), CS Sfaxien (Tunisia), or any of the teams in Pot D.