The 2020 National Mountain Running Championships in Kapchorwa successfully climaxed Uganda Athletics Federation’s calendar year activities.
Rebecca Chelangat (Prisons) and Andrew Kwemoi (Arua) won the Women and Men’s categories respectively on Sunday, walking away with prize money of UGX 400,000 each.
Chelangat posted a time of 44:37.7 to beat competition from Arua’s Annet Chelangat (44:47.9) and Prisons’ Ruspa Cherop (45:54.7) who came second and third respectively.
Elsewhere, Andrew Kwemoi posted a timing of 35:33.9 to win the men’s category and edging out Prisons’ duo of Ayeko Joel (35:54.9) and Fred Musobo (36:13.9) who were second and third respectively.
Unlike the previous editions where the top five finishers in both categories would be assured of slots to represent Uganda at the annual World Mountain Running Championships, runners this time round only walked away with national titles and prize money.
Uganda which has dominated the World Mountain Running Championships will miss the 35th edition of the world championships which were cancelled by World Athletics owing to the COVID-19 pandemic.
2020 National Mountain Running Championships Top 10
- Chelangat Rebecca (Prisons) – 44:37.7
- Chelangat Annet (Arua) – 44:47.9
- Cherop Rispa (Prisons) – 45:54.7
- Chebet Risper (Prisons) – 46:15.9
- Chebet Scarlett (Police) – 46:26.4
- Chelangat Shauline (Prisons) – 47:09.2
- Chekwemoi Esther (Police) – 47:21.4
- Chekwemoi Teddy Simon (UPDF) – 48:04.4
- Chekwemboi Patricia (Police) – 48:31.6
- Chemos Viola Muneria (Arua) – 48:39.9
- Kwemoi Andrew (Arua) – 35:33.9
- Ayeko Joel (Prisons) – 35:54.9
- Musobo Fred (Prisons) – 36:13.9
- Musau Martin (Police) – 36:21.4
- Martin Kiprotich (Police) – 36:46.5
- Abel Chebet (Police) – 37:02.5
- Titus Kibet (Arua) – 37:24.5
- Wakana Nelson (Prisons) – 37:27.2
- Yeko Dismas (UPDF) – 37:30.7
- Kwemoi Salion (UWA) – 37:34.5